FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting sunrise

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Mark
Shooting sunrise
on Sep 12, 2010 at 6:24:10 pm

Hello everyone. Can you offer EX1 camera setting suggestions for shooting sunrise in real time? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Shooting sunrise
on Sep 12, 2010 at 8:01:16 pm

with or without filters over the lens?

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Sep 12, 2010 at 8:12:49 pm

Probably with IR reduction filter.

Bob

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 12, 2010 at 9:00:47 pm

Some tips:

-NEVER shoot with the EX1 or EX3 at any f-stop smaller than f/5.6. Always use the built-in ND filters (and external ND filters if necessary) to keep the iris around f/4 to f/2.8. Due to diffraction problems caused by the small 1/2" sensor, the image will look sharper, and you'll also eliminate most of the dust specks and any other imperfections that have found themselves onto the optics.

-Try shooting a sunset instead and reverse it in post instead. For some reason, sunsets look better than sunrises anyway. There might be a scientific reason for this, but I know it from experience.

-This is one time when a matte box really shines. I always bring the case with it, and my collection of 4x4 filters, but it often stays in the truck. And a few Tiffen or similar graduated filters really shines. Even dull sunsets can become spectacular. My favorite is the Tiffen Sunset filter. Moving it up and down in the matte box can really change the shot. Of course this can be done in post these days, but it is really fun to play with in the field. And a good location monitor is great for checking shot and impressing the field producer, when applicable.

-Stay on 56K or balance before putting filter in. A lot of times I balance 30 minutes before sunset and then keep shooting with that setting.

Hope that helps.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Sep 13, 2010 at 12:46:10 am

Thanks for your info. I should have stated that I'm shooting on the ocean. The sun rises over the water and sets on land. I have tried several settings in the past with OK results, but I'm trying to find a a better result between great sun exposure and great sky exposure.
Hard to accomplish.

Bob

Return to posts index

Les Wilson
on Sep 13, 2010 at 12:15:34 pm

I last did this when I was on SD and an XL1s but I let the sun blow out and exposed for the sky effect I wanted. The ocean fell into place. I moved the iris as the sun rose and you can see in the attached how the effects of the small aperture kicked in as I cranked it down.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 13, 2010 at 3:14:04 pm

Riding the exposure and a grad filter can also help. Also remember you can do a lot in post. Also consider a DSLR and shoot semi timelapse for greater exposure range. When HDR video hits cameras over the next years this sort of shot will be a lot easier.

Noah

Return to posts index

Les Wilson
on Sep 14, 2010 at 10:37:31 pm

The EX series has built in time lapse and long shutter that should be useful when the sun is just at first light. Also, I believe the EX's TLCS can help you by adjusting the exposure as it gets brighter. An HDSLR is going to require some serious ND.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Sep 15, 2010 at 4:43:17 pm

Thanks for all the great ideas. I got some interesting footage using various suggestions from the group.

I used many different white balance settings, iris adjustments, ND settings etc. The one thing that bothered me was that no matter what the white balance, camera profile, ND setting, IR or no IR filter I used, the sun looked yellow instead of the orange red I saw. I noticed the same thing with my DSLR.

Thanks everyone!

Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]