FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Announces EX PMW-500 2/3" 4:2:2

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Sony Announces EX PMW-500 2/3" 4:2:2
on Sep 10, 2010 at 3:46:29 pm

I got this via email from Sony Business.

Shoulder Mount Full HD 2/3" Power HAD FX CCD
(note not CMOS)

4 hours of HD422 recording on 64GB SxS

Transfer speeds up to 1.2Gbps using 32GB/64GB SxS-1 cards

Recording
MXF 422 50Mbps
or
MP4 420 35Mbps

XDCAM Proxy recording

Pool feed recording with SDI and Analog Composite INPUT

Shoulder mount compact size light weight low power consumption

Optional Studio Configuration with XDCA55 and XDCU50

Hybrid Solution with PDW-HR1/MK1 Filed Recorder. Available October 2010

PMW-500 available November 2010

Link included with email
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcamexsite/?XID=E:pmw500launch_091010_c...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Sony Announces EX PMW-500 2/3" 4:2:2
on Sep 10, 2010 at 3:49:01 pm

Product sheet
http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/files/micro/xdcamex/brochures/pmw500_V24...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 10, 2010 at 4:06:05 pm

Interesting tidbits additionally noted in brochure,

It seems 64GB SxS is only SxS-1
Continuous Record mode in MXF. Start and stop can remain one continuous clip.
Metadata import to camera (planning metadata) via WiFi adaptor
New XDCAM Browser Version 1.
MPEG TS option
Can record to MPEG IMX (optional board needed)
Gain/Turbo Gain -6dB to +42dB
Live & Play function (play back clip while setting up next shot - March 2011)

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 10, 2010 at 4:16:20 pm

Craig, do you have any guide as to pricing? Let's say the basic but with a decent viewfinder, nearest thousand would do.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 10, 2010 at 4:42:53 pm

I suspect we'll be seeing an IBC related press release with pricing very soon (a day or so maybe). My broad guess would be significantly more than PMW-350 but less than PDW-800 (which isn't taking too much of a risk is it?). I'll take a stab at it. Guess $29,999 street.

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Sep 10, 2010 at 6:20:24 pm

Do you think the new XDCAM Browser software will be available for all XD and EX workflows?

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 10, 2010 at 7:26:57 pm

I've heard in the rumor mill that it will completely replace current ClipBrowser and XDCAM Transfer.

With Sony, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 13, 2010 at 1:22:25 pm

Hi Ron,

XDCAM Browser will support EX, XDCAM Optical and the 'MXF on SxS' feature on the new PMW500.

Will post additional details soon..

Cheers,

Ian

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 10, 2010 at 8:09:45 pm

Hey I was pretty close. I've got the first apparently official price report
$27,900.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 11, 2010 at 3:25:49 am

Great camera to pair with the new Ki-Pro, don't you think so?
but I think is time for SONY and otheres to start to streamline video cameras.
Why they still making such big camera bodies. There is no tape inside but looks like BetaCams.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 11, 2010 at 12:09:31 pm

But maybe people aren't crazy about EX3 as a body design. Do you consider the JVC HM700 series streamlined enough for a shoulder mounted camera?

I think some want a big camera for balance. On the other hand some want as small as possible for travel/portability. Canon's "concept" camera at the CanonExpo was a 2/3" chip with 4K sensor in a fixed lens body about the size of an EX1.

Camera body size also has a lot to do with heat generated from the electronics and the circulation needed to cool them.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 11, 2010 at 1:10:03 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Do you consider the JVC HM700 series streamlined enough for a shoulder mounted camera? "
I've never tried the JVCs, but I really like the shape.
For me the question of laying the camera on the shoulder is not just a matter of balancing well the camera, but of allowing to have the hands free to control the lens.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 11, 2010 at 2:06:37 pm

[Rafael Amador] "For me the question of laying the camera on the shoulder is not just a matter of balancing well the camera, but of allowing to have the hands free to control the lens."

There's probably a shoulder mounted HDSL in your future. Let's see which camera maker does that first.

Return to posts index

Neil Rubenstein
on Oct 7, 2010 at 12:49:08 pm

I'm looking at purchasing two of these cameras to standardize on the SxS format and also use the ki-pro's. The issue with using Ki-pro's on sony cameras is what comes out of the HD/SDI port is NOT what the camera frame rate is set to. I've had this problem with shooting 24fps on two of our 355's XDCAM HD cameras. It doesn't matter what the camera frame rate is set to the HD/SDI port won't output 24. Sony obviously doesn't want users to bypass the use of their optical disc or solid state recording media.

I'm getting a demo in the next month and will report back. Someone had commented about the large footprint of the these cameras. I've been shooting video for 30 years. In my opinion the smaller camera's, even with outboard support are terrible for handheld. We have zacuto, the doo-hicky thing that you wear that comes over your head with a retractable cord and hooks to the hand grip, and a mono pod device that fits into a strap around your waist. For me and the guys that shoot with me, nothing is better than a full sized camera that is well balanced. Shooting handheld with the EX-3 is trying at best, maddening at worst. On sticks it's a great, reasonably priced camera. Try putting a TK76 or one of the Ikee HL's (if you can find one) on your shoulder and let me know what you think. These newer broadcast size camera are a breeze.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 7, 2010 at 3:24:25 pm

[Neil Rubenstein] "he issue with using Ki-pro's on sony cameras is what comes out of the HD/SDI port is NOT what the camera frame rate is set to."

I'm under the impression that that has been changed in recent firmware so your experience may be with EX cameras and older firmware. Maybe Ian can clear this up.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 7, 2010 at 3:32:19 pm

You won't have issues with this camera outputting 24p via SDI. My EX3 outputs 24p via SDI.
You should look into the Nano Flash as the KiPro is ridiculously large. IMO Unless you are making a film you won't ever know the difference between 8 and 10 bit color for the small screen.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Oct 7, 2010 at 3:43:46 pm

I beg to differ regarding the value of 10 bit mastering! I believe that while you are correct that on a small screen (most legacy displays are 8 bit) you will not be able to tell the difference, you will be able to tell the difference if you do any color correction of your project. 8-bit has only 256 shades of each color, 10-bit has 1024. Four times the color makes color correction much more subtle and transparent. When you color correct 8 bit it turns into "cartoon" color very quickly. Having this additional control allows you some room for error in your original photography both in color and exposure. I've sold my Nanoflashes (although I really loved them and found them bullet proof) and am replacing them with KiPro Minis.

Another important and future looking advantage to the 10 bit recoding is that if you use any of the log curves or even severe HyperGammas (on Sony) or Cine Gammas (on Panasonic) that require color correction, you will end up with a much larger and usable dynamic range which is really the "Holy Grail" in trying to imitate the look of film.

JMHO,

JS

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 7, 2010 at 4:00:27 pm

The Nano Flash can also remove the pulldown issue on the 355 to get you the 24fps digital files you want and allow you to wrap these files for immediate use in many EDL's, (MXF or .mov)

Not sure if the AJA products have these features.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Sony Announces EX PMW-500 2/3
on Oct 7, 2010 at 3:52:03 pm

As far as EX cameras it was only the EX-1 with early firmware that pulled down the 'live' 23.98p output. EX-1s with 1.11 or higher as well as the EX-3 have a '24p system' menu item which allows you to select PSF or pulldown for the HD-SDI out while in camera mode. The PMW-350 and PMW-500 have this same option in the 'input/output' menu.

The F350/F355 XDCAM Optical cameras do pull down the 24p output. The deck models from this line up F70/F75) are switchable.

Ian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]