FORUMS: list search recent posts

exdcam dying day by day

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
keith greenfield
exdcam dying day by day
on Sep 8, 2010 at 9:49:26 pm

Camera: PMW-EX1R , media: MXM USB Expresscard/34 SDHC Adapters, SanDisk Extreme Class 10 8GB and Transcend class 6 16GB cards. Hardware v1.0
First messages started within a few days with the Transcend cards, Error media needs to be restored, nothing in the menu to do that. Switch to slot B.
Return to studio, mount the faulty card, remove BPAV, files OK. Cannot format card in camera. So reformat to fat32, camera rejects card and says 'not suitable' but allows a reformat. Card works OK.
Start using Class 10, ok for a while, one or two errors, but persevere.
Rec review working OK but when I try to review all the thumbnails via the media position switch, a SxS symbols appears on the screen, nothing, just sits there.
Ok, so switch to 'OFF' SxS symbol stays on screen, switch to 'CAMERA' still there. Switch to 'OFF' still there. Wait, wait...then nothing to do but disconnect battery.
Wait, power up, switch to 'CAMERA' fine thats OK and record works, rec preview last clip works, switch to 'MEDIA'. Here we go again.
OK so hardware is still v1.0, but very reluctant to have it updated as I am seeing so many reports of camera being trashed afterwards. No dealer is prepared to do it and even when performed by Sony they appear take no responsibility.
At this rate of failures I am going to be without a working camera within a few weeks.
Should have stuck with the old Panasonic P2. Faultless for years.
Anybody got views on this?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: exdcam dying day by day
on Sep 8, 2010 at 11:29:39 pm

[keith greenfield] "No dealer is prepared to do it and even when performed by Sony they appear take no responsibility."

Sony certainly will and they'll take responsibility for any paid service. $130 to do the firmware upgrade in either NJ or CA service center.

Reset camera and then pull out the internal battery for a day or so. When you start it back up use the SxS card that came with the camera to eliminate any possible adaptor SDHC card issues. If it's still go problems call the service center. If it works OK call the service center and pay for the upgrade.

Return to posts index

keith greenfield
on Sep 9, 2010 at 7:47:26 am

cheers mate, 'pull the internal battery and leave it for a day or so' well thats a new one, I'll give it go, I am after all getting pretty desperate here. You are quite right, i should bite the bullet and haul the camera into a Sony tech centre and get them to do a firmware upgrade. Sadly, here in the UK, Sony does have a pretty poor reputation for support. I am based in the UK but do work for the guys in the U.S., which is why I got the Sony, switchable NTSC/PAL, it sure does help to widen ones customer base. Just a tip for you operators that side of 'big shinning water'. You should consider adverting a service here in the UK, shoot PAL there and ship to UK. Just a thought.
anyhoo, I digress, thanks Craig I'll let you know.

Return to posts index

keith greenfield
on Sep 14, 2010 at 8:33:30 am

Craig,
well...tried removing the internal battery. Afraid it did not solve the problem.
So its now back to Sony...
thanks for taking time out anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]