FORUMS: list search recent posts

5D mark II vs. EX3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Beom Koh
5D mark II vs. EX3
on Sep 6, 2010 at 1:19:24 am

I know this has been discussed a lot in the past... but I can't make decision at this point.

I own EX3 but I am thinking to sell it for 5D mark II. What are you guys thoughts on this?

I am usually making 1hr videos for my organization in HD and stream over internet. I hear that the color and quality is much better if I use 5D mark II but I am still not sure if that is true. I watched some clips on youtube but still...

One more question... does anyone in this forum use EX3 for documentary or anything that is broadcasted over cable TV(Discovery)?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 5D mark II vs. EX3
on Sep 6, 2010 at 2:54:14 am

Why sell it? They are complementary- like having a pocket knife and a sword. I'd instead grab a T2i or 7D and keep the EX3.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 6, 2010 at 3:33:23 am

EX resolves to a higher resolution.

5D Mark II also may have aliasing/moire issues. The sampling of the sensor is not very good.
Shallow DOF is great in some cases but other times you may want Deep DOF to show what's happening in the background. You'll also need to record to external sound device and sync. You'll need to convert AVCHD to something else to edit with generally. You'll also have very short record times, 12 minutes or so I believe. Some report overheating issues as well.

Sony is coming out with VG10 which is a large sensor consumer video camera. I suspect the pro version should be hear within a few months.

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Sep 6, 2010 at 3:56:02 am

I used my EX-3 to shoot a 30 second promo for The Hope Channel that airs on DirectTV. Also, shot some B-roll for same program that airs on 9-12.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 6, 2010 at 3:56:45 am

Hi Beaom,
Is not all about picture, but about how to operate.
Using an DSRL is like using a 35mm camera. So if you control everything in your shooting (light, action,..) the DSRL can be great; if not, all that DOF etc may become a nightmare. You may end up with a bunch of beautiful shots, but nothing to make a one hour video with.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Beom Koh
on Sep 6, 2010 at 4:35:14 am

Thank you so much for all the reply.

Do you guys recommend any lens for EX3? I am currently using the default one but was wondering someone have any recommendation on this.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Sep 6, 2010 at 1:10:09 pm

I just finished a 5 month 20 week racing show that aired on 4 TV stations in my state shot exclusively with the Ex-3 with the stock lens. This program was shot in the most difficult situation and the video that we were able to capture was outstanding. The cars were moving around a 1/4-3/8 mile track at speeds over 100 mph and the light (poor as it was) changed every 10-20 feet. Some times I had to shoot at 9DB gain and 1.9 to get a good image and the EX-3 came through with flying colors. In the whole 20 shows (over 140 hours shot) not one complaint or problem with the EX-3. The entire 20 weeks worth of shooting was shot hand held with the help of a "over the shoulder" brace from Olof Ekbergh Westside A V Studios. Needless to say I am glad it is over and will think twice before I do it again with only a few days lead time to produce a 1 hour show for 20 weeks. The treadmill of a weekly 1 hour show was grueling.

Keep the Ex-3

Ronnie

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
http://www.dirtracingvideo.com
http://www.ramtv.tv

Return to posts index

Beom Koh
on Sep 8, 2010 at 11:14:25 am

Thanks for your advice.

I have one more question.

I am not sure how to say this.. but I want to get a lens that focus people well and blur out the background just like the ones used in drama, etc.. Are there any lens for EX3 out there?

(Sorry I am not expert and.. don't know much yet.)

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 8, 2010 at 11:46:35 am

Hi Beom,
You need to learn what DOF is and how to control it.
rafael

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Sep 8, 2010 at 3:23:42 pm

It's not as simple as just getting a lens. It has much more to do with the size of the image sensor in the camera. It's difficult for a 1/2" chip camera to achieve the shallow depth of field possible with a 35mm camera. An entire industry has evolved to address this fact, and there is no cheap solution.

35mm adapters allow video cameras with smaller image sensors to use 35mm lenses and achieve a very shallow depth of field. They have limitations, and they are expensive. A good introduction to the process can be found here:

http://philipbloom.net/2009/03/17/letus-35mm-adaptor/

I agree with Rafael, you need to educate yourself about some basic photography terminology and concepts, specifically about what depth of field is and how to control it.

While it's easier to achieve a shallow depth of field with DSLR cameras, there are many caveats to using them for video as outlined by other posters in this thread.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 8, 2010 at 3:53:17 pm

I can't recommend reading this strongly enough. It's excellent.

HDSLR Guide
Absolutely one of the best guides I've seen online on the HDSLR technology. They're forthright about the advantages and disadvantages and do mention the EX3 with 35mm adaptor and briefly go into the reasoning behind one vs the other.

The navigation isn't very obvious as the tabs on the left are only one chapter. The top right arrow move you through everything and you might mistakenly thing you're starting over as each chapter starts with "overview." You'll also need to pull down the right red scroll bar on some pages. The bottom time line gives you a good idea where you are.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 9, 2010 at 3:24:05 am

Very interesting guide.
However I don't understand the concept that this people have about "Documentaries".
With a driver that takes you in the morning to the shooting place and back to a nice hotel when finished,that may work.
When you have to drag your self in the middle of nowhere and with no help, I bet you'll wish you had a compact video camera instead of a DSRL rig.
rafael

Return to posts index

bruno perosa
on Sep 9, 2010 at 12:04:24 pm

Hi,
I'm using an Adaptimax with Nikon full manual lenses (like the Micro Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 and the 80-200mm, I would also like to get a 300) that extend the range of the standard EX3 lens...

EX3, Nikon Adaptimax with various lenses, Acuter Merlin mount, MBP17"2.93GHz, FCS2, Media100, BtcSP, DVcam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]