FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pulsing colour

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian paterson
Pulsing colour
on Sep 3, 2010 at 9:44:58 pm

Hi,
I shot a wedding a week ago and am just importing the footage. I shot on a Sony Ex1r and normally I would shoot at 1920/50i ( i am in PAL land by the way) which usually looks great. This time I had a second cameraman using a Canon XHA1 and he advised me to shoot 1440/50i to better match his footage.
Now in FCP I see the colours pulsing in the canvas window. Especially on skin tones and darker areas.
Not too obvious but still visible, quite quick but not like a flicker.
However when i play the footage in fullscreen on my iMac this pulsing is not to be seen. Is it something to do with seeing this in a small viewing window in FCP or is it a sign of something more serious which ultimately will be seen when I make the DVD for the client. I can't think what would cause it. I was shooting with a cinegamma preset with everything else set to manual and the shutter was set to off. Both outdoor and indoor footage is the same.
Can anyone shed some light on this as it's quite worrying
Many Thanks
BRIAN

brian paterson

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Pulsing colour
on Sep 3, 2010 at 10:29:51 pm

In the CAMERA SET menu is the Flicker Reducer set to "ON" or to "AUTO"? if it is then turn it off.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

brian paterson
on Sep 4, 2010 at 8:37:10 am

Thank you Don,
The flicker reducer was already set to off.
On further investigation I see that the clips played directly from the capture scratch folder as quicktime files have no issues regarding pulsing nor is there pulsing once rendered in a pro res timeline so it looks as if the problem is somehow tied in with my FCP set up. I have checked everything I can think of but am at a loss to understand why.
Any more thoughts ?

Regards
BRIAN.

brian paterson

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 4, 2010 at 1:27:07 pm

It could just be FCPs internal scaling creating moire. One way to confirm this is to set the Canvas or Viewer to 100% and play or jog through the picture. If the issue goes away it's just FCP scaling to playback. BTW this is a good reason why you should monitor on an external monitor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]