FORUMS: list search recent posts

ex3 color sampling

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Refuss
ex3 color sampling
on Sep 2, 2010 at 5:42:35 pm

I am curious about color sampling on the ex3. I'm fairly new to HD and have been reading about MPEG2 Long GOP codecs and understand that their have been many recent improvements. I found 2 statements on forums that don't quite make sense to me.
1. XDCAM EX builds on XDCAM HD, which in turn builds on HDV. So it's a Long-GOP MPEG-2 codec, with 4:2:0 colour sampling.
2*SDI* – With HD-SDI out the EX cameras offer full resolution monitoring, and also a raw 4:2:2 feed from the camera head for those more demanding situations. (Chroma key springs to mind.)

So is color sampling different if you record to the SxS card?
How can I take advantage of full color sampling capabilites - record from the SDI _HD out? (to hard disk?)
Also have read about intermediate codecs. Could I use something other than Clip Browsers mxf for NLE option to get better results?

THanks much.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: x3 color sampling
on Sep 2, 2010 at 6:02:45 pm

The EX can out 4:2:2 without compression and record 4:2:0 35 Mbps to the Memory cards. I you want to take advantage of the uncompressed signal look into the Nano Flash external digital recorder from Convergent-Design and you will not only get to take advantage of up to 280Mbps but toucan choose intra- frame recording. Yes I- frame recording

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Mark Refuss
on Sep 2, 2010 at 6:17:01 pm

Thanks so much. That makes perfect sense to me but found it a little suprising. I will check into the nano-flash drive for future work, but now most of my work is still output to DVD as Blu-Ray hasn't become a standard around here as yet. By the way what's the best way to downconvert to Sd without buying an expensive deck? I haven't been very satisfied with the quality of my DVDs when rendering out of Sony Vegas to SD formats.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 3, 2010 at 10:21:31 am

Mark, I too need SD DVD's from my HD timeline and I have found that by far the best down convert is with the Innobits BitVice encoding software. Their latest versions are stunning and very easy to use.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 3, 2010 at 12:16:40 pm

[Michael Slowe] " I have found that by far the best down convert is with the Innobits BitVice encoding software"
Hi Michael,
I've been using Innobits Purifier for a while for downscaling.
After some poor results with Purifier, I made some tests comparing Purifier, FC, Motion, Compressor and SHAKE.
By far SHAKE yielded the best quality over the other applications.
Motion may yield similar quality using the Lanczos filter (the one used by SHAKE), but in Motion is a bit of a pain to use it due to de coordinates system used by this filter.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Sep 4, 2010 at 7:45:51 pm

I use After Effects if the project I'm working on doesn't downscale very well (some subject matter scales better than others using the Apple tools). AE is excellent for such things. I can also take my final HD movie, which I'm going to archive anyway, and throw it into a variety of AE timelines in the native dimensions I need for DVD, web, or whatever. I can render them out in a batch to whichever format I want and do my final encoding with the individual files in their native dimensions.

Cf

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Sep 2, 2010 at 6:23:40 pm

The EX can out 4:2:2 without compression and record 4:2:0 35 Mbps to the Memory cards. I you want to take advantage of the uncompressed signal look into the Nano Flash external digital recorder from Convergent-Design and you will not only get to take advantage of up to 280Mbps but toucan choose intra- frame recording. Yes I- frame recording

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]