FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Location Tips

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Schmolz
XDCAM Location Tips
on Aug 24, 2010 at 5:47:03 pm

Hi there knowledgeable folk,

I have had (some) experience with XDCAM from an EX3 on previous productions but a new production coming up requires greater planning with regards to file management and tagging etc.

Previously I have simply backed up the cards sorted by shoot day and then card number. Then outputted from Sony Clip Browser as 'for NLE systems' into one output folder per shoot day. To be quite honest, this has worked absolutely fine. However we have a month long shoot on a submarine coming up where there will be a few crew changes with the chance to swap full drives for empty but not many.

So after all that guff, basically I am asking does anyone have any tips for organising clips, be that a folder setup, or ideas on naming clips (how much can you get away with on XDCAM) - also any software anyone can suggest that might help.

Help would be greatly appreciated,

Sean

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: XDCAM Location Tips
on Aug 24, 2010 at 7:03:27 pm

[Sean Schmolz] "also any software anyone can suggest that might help."

Check out CatDV, which is a logging and media organizing program. Folks who use it rave about it so it's worth a look. CatDV is cross-platform and there's a forum right here at CreativeCOW.

http://www.squarebox.co.uk/

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Aug 24, 2010 at 8:08:44 pm

I would have each shooter change the clip names in camera to start with his initials and then organize them into dated folders. That way you will know who shot what clips based on their file name and date. Just an idea.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Aug 25, 2010 at 1:10:22 pm

We organize everything primarily by project number, then by shoot date/location.

We change the clip name setup and clip number in each camera at the beginning of each year. The first three characters contain the camera ID and year before the clip number. For instance, all clips shot from camera A get titled "A10_xxxx" for Camera A, 2010. That way if we find an issue in our footage we know which camera shot it.

We track information such as shooter, talent, location, and that sort of thing in CatDV.

Cf

Return to posts index

David Bispham
on Aug 25, 2010 at 9:07:02 pm

Good info to have in clip names, although all that info can be found in XDCAM Transfer and/or Clip Browser (by camera serial number). You could then use the naming convention for other info.

When my footage is imported into FCP the clip names could start with OHar or LaGu for Chicago O’Hare or LaGuardia airports.

Return to posts index

Sean Schmolz
on Aug 26, 2010 at 11:05:47 am

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for that, it's really helpful - I've taken all that on board and know I know the options I can work out what system is best for us.

Cheers very much indeed,

Sean

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Aug 31, 2010 at 7:45:18 am

My cars are copied into folders with a "slug" followed by 8-digit date.

For example, "Marlin 2010829-1" for card 1 for that day and so on.

A letter can be added to denote which camera if there's more than one. And, as mentioned, the camera can be set up so that there's a unique ID for each camera in the clip name.

That said, have fun with the sub story. I'm sure it'll feature in-depth coverage... :-)

I did 36 hours on the USS Kamehameha back when I was at a newspaper. Spent an hour in sonar. That was a fun place to hang out.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

Sean Schmolz
on Sep 2, 2010 at 5:22:45 pm

Thanks for that Dean,

Excellent punnery there!!!

Another question wise people - once I've outputted from Clip Browser using 'for NLE' option - the clip will contain the logging info that I've entered right - is there any reason to keep the original files after that?

Cheers,

Sean

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]