FORUMS: list search recent posts

External hard drive- data error

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carl Filoreto
External hard drive- data error
on Aug 24, 2010 at 2:25:21 pm

Hi,
Yesterday I performed a shoot for a corporate client with my EX-3. The producer brought a 60 gb Sony HDD Prof Harddisk unit, which I mounted to the B slot of the camera. Everything worked well until the end of the shoot, when I was trying to get a few additional shots, and received an error message. I don't recall the exact wording of the error message, but I wasn't able to record again to the drive, and my viewfinder data indicated there was no media in the drive. At this point the drive had about 30gb of files already stored.

At that point I shut down the hard drive and started shooting to SxS cards, with no issues.

The producer contacted me after the shoot and said when he tried to transfer the media to a LaCie external drive, he received this error message:
Cannot copy .10800083_01: Data Error (cyclic redundanct check)

Almos the entire day's shoot is on this drive, and he very much wants to find a solution. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Carl Filoreto
Golden, CO.
Elk Run Productions, Inc.
http://www.elkruntv.com

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: External hard drive- data error
on Aug 24, 2010 at 2:42:36 pm

What is the firmware version currently on the EX3?
Have you had much experience using a hard drive to record with?
Did you try re-mounting the 60gig drive back to the EX3? It should give you the opportunity the restore the media.

I'm just guessing here but I would bet the error was generated because you stopped one clip and the drive was still writing to the drive when you started another clip.

Hopefully you will only lose the last clip you recorded.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Carl Filoreto
on Aug 24, 2010 at 2:52:32 pm

I'm using 1.1.

I don't have a lot of experience recording to a hard drive with the EX-3, as I have several 32gb cards and a few others as well. So I don't use it for my own purposes.

At the time I did try to remount the drive but received the same message. At that point I shut it down and turned to SxS cards. The producer is on a multi-state media tour and was heading for the airport. He has the drive. He's used it a lot in the past and is media savvy. He's also hiring DPs with EX-3's in each location, so they won't have access to my camera, but to another EX-3.

thx.

Carl Filoreto
Golden, CO.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Aug 24, 2010 at 3:02:04 pm

It would have been good to know the error, is it could possibly help others here, but the problem is your clients now. I don't think your camera had anything to do with this issue. I believe it must be the 60gig device you were asked to use.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 24, 2010 at 3:05:27 pm

[Carl Filoreto] "I have several 32gb cards and a few others as well. So I don't use it for my own purposes."

Very wise IMHO.

[Carl Filoreto] "At the time I did try to remount the drive but received the same message."

This is why the message is critical. If it was Restore Media you could have done so. If it was something else you'd have a key bit of info for trouble shooting.

[Carl Filoreto] "The producer is on a multi-state media tour and was heading for the airport. He has the drive. He's used it a lot in the past and is media savvy."

Well, I guess not IMHO but that's because I don't trust hard drives as a primary recording source. That's just me though. He was probably doing this to save time . . . which is now going to cost him . . . time.

If he's media savvy he'll know how to trouble shoot this.

Personally I don't accept client media because I don't know its history and can't take responsibility for issues that come up . . . like this. Sometimes the client insists as part of the job. It's important to let a client know that before a shoot starts even it's something written as part of the contract.

What I've done is record to my cards, back up to hard drive and optical disk, send the client another hard drive which they pay for. This way I have a good backup if something goes wrong. It also means I can take responsibility for trouble shooting an issue . . . but I haven't had to (yet).

Return to posts index

Carl Filoreto
on Aug 24, 2010 at 3:15:33 pm

I agree on all fronts, but it's the producers' workflow, and the time constraints dictated using his system. Fortunately, he's not placing any blame on me, but is just looking for a solution.

If I'm in control of the workflow and am working on location, I'll record to the 32gb SDHC cards, download them to a 500gb. 7200 rpm G-Raid, and then copy them over to another redundant G-Raid. It's worked quite well and I've never had a problem.

Carl Filoreto
Golden, CO.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 24, 2010 at 2:48:33 pm

[Carl Filoreto] "The producer brought a 60 gb Sony HDD Prof Harddisk unit"

Personally I would prefer to use my own media and 2 32GB SDHC cards would do you better. I've always been wary of using client media but that's just me. You don't know the history of the hard drive.

Did you reformat the hard drive before using? Given it's a client supplied hard drive, I'd have done that at the very least as a sort of integrity check.

[Carl Filoreto] "I was trying to get a few additional shots, and received an error message. I don't recall the exact wording of the error message,"

It's always important to get that info but one might not have a device to write it down. It might have been a restore media message. It might have been something more serious though. It does help with trouble shooting.

[Carl Filoreto] "Cannot copy .10800083_01: Data Error (cyclic redundanct check)"

At least something was doing the CRC check which is very important. It may mean the LaCie drive data didn't match the Sony drive. Try copying to another drive.

The above might also indicate a specific clip that is corrupted. Perhaps try using ClipBrowser to split the source files into separate BPAV folders. Also see if the above matches one of the clip IDs.

Return to posts index

Carl Filoreto
on Aug 24, 2010 at 3:00:42 pm

I agree Craig, I'd rather use my own cards and my on site workflow. However this producer has a definite method and workflow. It's an interesting set up as he provides the hard drive, a video transmitter, and we feed him a mixed audio feed from the field mixer so that he can use it to record onto some type of flip camera he's using at times.

We were moving quickly from the get go, so I didn't reformat his drive.

As he's on a multi-state media tour, I don't have the drive at my disposal. Thanks for the info and I'll pass it along, and hopefully we'll get a positive result!

Carl Filoreto
Golden, CO.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 24, 2010 at 3:16:48 pm

The tough thing about this having to come up with a viable workflow on the client's end.

Personally I don't trust Sony's portable hard drives. I've seen enough issues around them that I wouldn't recommend their use at all.

Basically they're using the same technology as the SxS SDHC adaptors (USB technology). I think the hard drive has much greater risks. The problem is the client's alternative would be to buy an MxR/MxM/Hoodman adaptor and reliable cards such and Sandisk Extreme Class 10 and then do copies each night for backup. Of course there's some risk that they'll be a compatibility issue with a given camera but I think the worse case would be a salvageable Media Restore on a card that could even go through a rescue process if needed.

As Mike said, it is your client's issue and certainly be a good samaritan freelancer and recommend solutions (as we're trying to come up with).

Unless the drive or the i/o is damaged, if all else fails. He can pull the mp4 off and create new BPAV for them and, in the process, find the bad clip. See previous post for suggestions to try before that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]