FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM PAL 24p?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sherwin Akbarzadeh
XDCAM PAL 24p?
on Aug 24, 2010 at 3:42:24 am

Hi there,

So I notice that only you NTSCers get 24p on my EX1. I live in Australia. I shoot PAL. Why can't i have 24p?

Now accepting this sad fact, what is my next best frame rate / shutter speed option for that filmic look?

Cheers,
Sherwin

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: XDCAM PAL 24p?
on Aug 24, 2010 at 4:05:16 am

In PAL countries, where clocks run at 50Hz, the "equivalent" to 24fps is 25fps; that's the frame rate you would use for the cinema there.

JS

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 24, 2010 at 4:08:24 am

I have an EX1R and in the OTHERS menu there is a menu item called COUNTRY. It's in that menu that I can choose whether I want to shoot PAL or NTSC. Do you not have a similar choice with your EX1? My original EX1 also had the same menu selection as my current EX1R does. Certain frame rates and shooting formats will become enabled/disabled depending on which mode you've chosen.

If you don't have the ability to shoot 24p then your alternate choice would be to shoot 25p and use software to convert that footage to 24p.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Sherwin Akbarzadeh
on Aug 24, 2010 at 4:21:01 am

Thanks Don and John,

Don, I know I can change to NTSC but that would cause further headaches in a PAL region country.

John, thanks for that. I guess 25p with 1/50 shutter is the best choice. I've also played around in the picture profiles, playing with all the levels and putting it on the cine3 gamma preset. Just wasn't sure if I could do any better.

Cheers,
Sherwin

Return to posts index

Thomas Kist
on Aug 24, 2010 at 7:51:24 pm

Hi Sherwin,

for that film feeling 25p will do fine.
if you are going to make a 35mm film copy shooting 24p might be interesting otherwise don't bother
because shooting 24 frames in a 50Hz environment gives a lot of trouble with flashing fluorescents etc.
Make sure that your Detail settings are not to high because that more than anything else (besides progressive)
helps staying away from that Video feel.
happy shooting!

Thomas Kist
Freelance D.o.P
Amsterdam,The Netherlands
http://www.thomaskist.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]