FORUMS: list search recent posts

Distorted audio on import

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Sawchuk
Distorted audio on import
on Aug 18, 2010 at 5:39:42 pm

I thought I'd pick the brains over here as well as the Final Cut forum. I'm importing XDCAM files into latest ver of Final Cut and the audio is completely over-driven and distorted. The files play clean and well on the XDCAM transfer utility so I know that they are recorded well. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Craig

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Distorted audio on import
on Aug 18, 2010 at 6:00:09 pm

Try listening to each channel separately. They may be summing. Try panning Ch1 left and Ch2 right.

Return to posts index

Craig Sawchuk
on Aug 18, 2010 at 6:25:35 pm

Tried that but the waveforms are just like building blocks and all that comes out is digital hiss.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 18, 2010 at 7:06:59 pm

Try playing the clips (EX XDCAM .mov) in Quicktime. That'll tell you if the problem is FCP specific. You may need to trash preferences.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Aug 18, 2010 at 9:28:51 pm

Ditto on that. You'd be amazed at the way Final Cut (or a Mac in general, really) can behave when it gets a preferences file corrupted. Sadly it's not a very rare occurrence. I just had a late night session where I had to push something out via Firewire and got nothing but digital garbage on both audio tracks (but video was perfect). You guessed it: preferences. There's also some sort of MediaIO plist file that might have to hit the trash, too...depending on your issue.

Cf

Return to posts index

Craig Sawchuk
on Aug 18, 2010 at 11:18:23 pm

Managed to get the audio back by opening the files in Soundtrack and then saving the audio to AIFF and reimporting them into FCP. Crazy... I will try the preference file replacement too.

Craig

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 19, 2010 at 6:05:23 am

[Craig Sawchuk] " I will try the preference file replacement too."

When you decide to do it go here first for a free program that will trash the preferences for you:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/pref_man.htm

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 19, 2010 at 11:18:00 am

Craig,
As per what you wrote in the FC forum, you should add here that you are try to work with MFX files in FC.
Thats not the standard workflow. If you don't tell the full story people won't pick the full picture.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Sawchuk
on Aug 19, 2010 at 11:27:53 am

Good point. Aren't XDCAM files MXF? I guess I was under the impression that they were one and the same once they are on the HD. Also the Sony import utility could play them flawlessly.

Craig

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]