FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony SDHC adapter

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Mark
Sony SDHC adapter
on Aug 18, 2010 at 12:24:27 pm

Looks like Sony is selling their own adapter these days.
B&H is selling a Panasonic SDHC card as an accessory!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/679101-REG/Sony_MEAD_SD01.html

Return to posts index

Bruce Rawlings
Re: Sony SDHC adapter
on Aug 18, 2010 at 12:35:40 pm

A Panasonic card is not a good idea. Sandisk extreme or ATP Pro will work well. SDHC is a minefield look on this site and others for accurate info.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 18, 2010 at 3:12:24 pm

I wouldn't agree that subbing SDHC for SxS is a minefield nor is a Panasonic SDHC card any less reliable than any other brand. SxS is just a memory card format and unlike certain other formats is not particularly proprietary nor high performance. Used properly, SDHC is a perfectly viable and inexpensive alternative.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 18, 2010 at 3:29:18 pm

Current firmware for EX cameras is very SDHC friendly . . . which is why Sony was finally willing to make an adaptor. Certainly there are some cards that a better than others but that just takes a little smart shopping. In the good 'ol days some tape stock was better than others too.

SxS offers better transfer times but it has major downsides IMHO. Being able to buy more cards, which you can with SDHC due to the major price difference, means you can avoid offloading during shoots where human error is the biggest factor in failure. If you have to, it's much easier to hand a client an SDHC card and give them a "stock" charge. It's much easier to find a device to transfer SDHC as some computers have built in SD slots and card readers are widely available and inexpensive. Past issues with SDHC was due to Sony's firmware and not necessarily the cards themselves. MANY cameras now use SDHC cards.

Return to posts index

Bruce Rawlings
on Aug 19, 2010 at 7:01:31 am

By minefield I did not mean it is a bad idea. I have been using them myself since 2008 without any problems. It was Craig's findings that helped me decide the route to go (old Sandisk/Transcend 16gb/MxR). My comment was really based on seeing so many posts talking about failures with combinations of cards that are not up to it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]