FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX1R - problem with footage

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wojciech Jastrzębski
Sony EX1R - problem with footage
on Aug 15, 2010 at 11:21:10 am

I was recorging a wedding last saturday, and when i came home, and just transfered the video material from the camera via usb cabel using XDCAM browser software to transfer the files i just saw a specific footage problem, i cant work with the material because the footage have a lot of this footahge distorions, there is a kind of a error. im using sony sxs pro 32 GB original memory cards from sony. i also checked this in the camera, and i the camera during playback the problem is also, the vidio freezes for a less than one second on the LCD display!

Please help me somehow.

986_ex1rproblem4.jpg.zip
- here's one frame from the video, showing the problem.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Sony EX1R - problem with footage
on Aug 15, 2010 at 3:16:31 pm

I hope you don't mind that I embedded it to make it easy for others to see. I'll remove embed if you like.

It seems the frame is split between two images. That you are seeing it in camera is not a good sign as it means something happened during recording. I've never seen this before in an EX recording.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 15, 2010 at 3:35:23 pm

[Wojciech Jastrzębski] " i came home, and just transfered the video material from the camera via usb cabel using XDCAM browser software to transfer the files"
Hi Wojciech,
To download the footage, you don't use the Clip Browser, but the Transfer tool.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Wojciech Jastrzębski
on Aug 15, 2010 at 5:11:46 pm

We are using Windows, is transfer tool available for win? I couldn't find this soft for windows (only for mac).

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 15, 2010 at 6:35:24 pm

There is no XDCAM Transfer Tool for Windows machines, I'm afraid.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 15, 2010 at 6:38:22 pm

But does anyone have any thoughts regarding the issue he's seeing.
Note that he's seeing this when the clips are played back on the SxS card in camera.
I have never seen this happen to a recording before.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Aug 15, 2010 at 6:37:09 pm

Rafael, if you're downloading files from the card to a hard drive surely you do use Clip Browser. The Transfer app. is used to ingest as video into your edit system. At least that's how I work.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Aug 15, 2010 at 6:38:38 pm

Sorry, I was thinking Mac, does he say he's on Windows?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 15, 2010 at 6:38:58 pm

and XDCAM Transfer is Mac only.

Return to posts index

Wojciech Jastrzębski
on Aug 15, 2010 at 7:05:31 pm

in the camera i see the video is freezing for a less than one second. I do not know why something like that appears. and when i import the video material to adobe premiere pro cs4, during playback i saw such an issue.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 15, 2010 at 7:08:03 pm

Just had a look and............wow. Never seen that before.

[Wojciech Jastrzębski] " the vidio freezes for a less than one second on the LCD display!"

Do you mean that when you see one of the glitches that it lasts for less than one second and then keeps playing forward? You can try reformatting that 32G card and try some test footage to see if you can duplicate the issue. But honestly, if it were me, I'd show Sony one of those glitches and then ask for a replacement card.

This assuming that none of your other video cards have displayed a glitch like that. This would rule out a camera problem.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Wojciech Jastrzębski
on Aug 15, 2010 at 7:38:03 pm

thank you for your reply.

I have 4 32GB cards, and i have to play the video material again, very carefuly, and than i can tell you if it has happened only on the one of those sony cards. I hope that this is the sxs card problem, not camera problem.

ill send it to sony, and when ill receive the reply from them ill post it here.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 15, 2010 at 8:24:37 pm

In the summer of 2008 I shot a wedding with my original EX1 with a Sony 16 Gbyte SxS Pro card. I saw this glitch when editing and was quite surprised to say the least. I've still got that card and have never seen another glitch like that on any of my SxS cards. I've got 4 32's and 4 16's

987_offload01480040702.pct.zip

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Wojciech Jastrzębski
on Aug 15, 2010 at 8:47:55 pm

Thank you for your reply!
I also have the same problems as you. what have you done to solve the problem, please help me, because i dont realy know where is the problem and why something like that apperas!

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 15, 2010 at 8:59:29 pm

I haven't really done anything significant to resolve the problem. For a short while after I saw the glitch I was waiting for the same thing to happen again and it never has. I do reformat my cards on a regular basis and before the glitch I just used to empty the cards using my laptop or using the camera. I don't reformat each and every time but probably every third time. There are people that simply empty their cards without reformatting and they never have problems.

I had a photo expert tell me he's seen pictures from SDHC and CF cards that have ghosted images from previous pictures on top of current images because the cards were emptied and not reformatted between uses. That's one of the reasons why I reformat.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Wojciech Jastrzębski
on Aug 15, 2010 at 10:10:34 pm

ok, hmm, okay, so you think that i have to reformat the sxs cards, but can you explain me how you do it? step by step.

Im reformating the cards using the camera, sony ex1r's menu, or sometimes "my computer / right click on the sxs disc / format".

Should I do it in the other way?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 15, 2010 at 10:42:28 pm

If you wish to reformat just do it in the camera. That's the fastest and most reliable method.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Bruce Rawlings
on Aug 16, 2010 at 7:55:53 am

I think formatting should always be done in the camera. I have seen somewhere that computers can leave all kinds of little files on a card. I think delete all clips in the camera is normal procedure so that you do not erase saved profiles etc. But more to the point how can your picture problem be resolved?

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Aug 16, 2010 at 11:32:37 am

Don, in the Vortex Media EX workshop DVD Doug Jensen advises against formatting cards. He advises deleting clips in the camera for further use. Formatting deletes everything from the card including any saved camera settings. These include PP's, screen lay out, audio settings etc etc and I have these all saved on all my cards. No need to format, it achieves nothing.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Aug 16, 2010 at 2:16:55 pm

It looks like an encoding or related video problem but the card should be reformatted and tested and the camera reset in any case. There is no danger in formatting the card as long as the camera settings have been stored elsewhere. All of this (storing/recalling settings; formatting the card; resetting the camera) is done from the OTHERS menu.

Others-->Camera Data store/recall
Others-->Format Media A/B
Others--> All Reset

Again, the prescription against formatting does not necessarily apply in every situation as long as you are not deleting any setup files.

If the issue persists the camera and a card showing the issue should be sent in to Sony.

Return to posts index

Wojciech Jastrzębski
on Aug 16, 2010 at 11:22:07 pm

Here's another frame grab of the problem:

You can see that footage is bricked. It lasts for about 10 frames.

The glitch doesn't look the same every time I play back. It's in the same place on timeline, but I noticed that after restarting premiere it changed it's appearance few times.

When playing back on the camera, blue screen showing "Media Error Playback Halted" appears, just before the glitch.

It happened only on one memory card, few times. I hope that's only memory card problem, not camera problem. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 17, 2010 at 12:27:54 am

I'm wondering if maybe something like a dirty contact on the card might be causing intermittent issues with the data going from camera to card while recording.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 17, 2010 at 12:41:16 am

I've got similar corruption (picture displacement, random pixelation) from some corrupted files (SDHC).
Try the free video-repair of treasured:
http://aeroquartet.com/movierepair/repair.html
Its claims that can fix some problems.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Wojciech Jastrzębski
on Aug 17, 2010 at 12:33:00 pm

thanks for your reply.

I'm using windows based platform to work with the video material.

Return to posts index

Wojciech Jastrzębski
on Aug 17, 2010 at 9:22:35 pm

hm, one more question, the guy from the authorised sony service told me that it could happened because the working temperature was too hot. but I've been recording in the normal temperature. not tropical :)

on the other hand i was recording, when was quite hot, realy, but there was no issue with the video material.

Guys, when i swithed on the camera and have been recording for an 2 hours and more, my camera, sony ex1r just get quite warm\hot but not very hot is it normal? I think yes, because its working, but tell me your opinion please. back of the camera keeps the warm temperature.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 18, 2010 at 12:10:29 am

The cameras do get hot but people have used them in tropical environments. Both the camera and SxS should handle it and if it gets too hot you're supposed to get a warning message.

I'd still go back to bad contacts on this card or some other similar issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]