FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filming an LCD monitor with a PMW-350

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Williams
Filming an LCD monitor with a PMW-350
on Aug 13, 2010 at 4:08:12 pm

Hi all,

I'm shooting with a PMW-350 and a nanoflash, recording at 50 Mb/s at 1920 x 1080 at 50i. Using an HJ-11 and HJ-22.

Doing quite a bit of work in offices and seeing people working on computers etc. I seem to be getting a lot of moire/aliasing type patterns on the LCD monitors of people's computers. It seems worse when i shoot the monitor front on.

Do any of you know of any settings within the Paint menu (Detail, Aperture, Frequency etc) that would have a positive effect on this weird patterning? I'd like to minimise it as much as possible as it's quite noticeable and very distracting.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

John

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Filming an LCD monitor with a PMW-350
on Aug 13, 2010 at 4:36:29 pm

Try shooting progressive. I have to believe shooting interlace only makes matters worse.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Filming an LCD monitor with a PMW-350
on Aug 13, 2010 at 5:43:13 pm

I just did an interview yesterday with 2 computer monitors just behind the talent and were there for a reason. I'm in NTSC land and I used an EX3:

HQ 1080p 30
shutter speed 1/40th sec.
flicker reduce OFF

The result was perfect. No screen flicker and no moiré pattern at all. The monitors were like looking at photographs. Lowering the shutter speed gets the screen flicker to disappear and increasing shutter speed makes it worse.

You'll need to use your own recipe in PAL land. Good Luck

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]