FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the best way to delete clips from Sony SXS MemCards

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pushpanatha de Silva
What's the best way to delete clips from Sony SXS MemCards
on Aug 12, 2010 at 11:35:10 am

I would appreciated if anyone of you tell me the best way of deleting clips/files from Sony SXS Mem cards??
Thx
Pushpa

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: What's the best way to delete clips from Sony SXS MemCards
on Aug 12, 2010 at 2:08:58 pm

It depends on your workflow but I delete in camera since it's assured not to do metadata damage.
I NEVER delete during a shoot because I do not believe in copying cards during a shoot. Human error in the copy process is a BIG point of failure. I have enough SDHC cards. I copy after the shoot. This way I can verify the copy before deleting clips on cards.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 12, 2010 at 4:17:36 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I delete in camera since it's assured not to do metadata damage."
Craig,
Why do you care so much about the metadata?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 12, 2010 at 5:07:35 pm

Deleting from the computer can sometimes result in invisible files on the card. I believe this can result in some of the card record issues although you'd usually getting the warning as soon as you put the card in the camera. Actually more file structure than metadata but the invisible files can create issues. Deleting from ClipBrowser should be safe but I recall bumping into an issue or two awhile back doing it that way as well. Deleting in a desktops Finder or Explorer can certainly create issues.

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
on Aug 12, 2010 at 3:19:37 pm

I like Craig's response, but since I shoot surgery and a single case can sometimes run 12 hours and I need to let the camera run through the full thing, I have to ingest my footage for 3 cameras sometimes throughout the whole day. So I couldn't begin to afford enough SxS cards to manage that. So I will set up a complete folder system for each camera at the beginning of the day, and ingest the footage, then often erase the cards in the computer. I know it is better to do this in the camera, but don't always have the luxury. One of the cameras is overhead and cannot be reached so easily.

Craig is right about this process being a bit dangerous. You have to have your safety net of checking and double checking that what you are ingesting is the right footage. Sony XDCam Browser could be a lot better if it had a warning that the BPAV folder you are about to overwrite was unique and followed the previous BPAV folder. I stitch these things together, sometimes in one long clip several hours long for synch purposes. I know. That's a crazy thing to edit, but it synchs with the other cameras well.

Greg Ondera
http://www.Plexus.tv
http://www.SurgeonToday.org

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 12, 2010 at 3:44:22 pm

6 or 7 Sandisk 32GB Class 10 cards (about what you'd need per camera) isn't much different in cost than 2 SxS cards

ClipBrowser, if set up properly, creates a time stamped folder for each card's copied BPAV which prevents accidental overwrite.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Aug 12, 2010 at 5:22:36 pm

I would consider taking the SDI out from the ceiling camera and running into a computer via an MX02 or similar and digitizing direct to disc.

I would also consider a NanoFlash with 2 64GB CF cards. You could get 7 hrs from those at 35mb/sec. And you can swap cards while rolling. The 64GB Delkins are only about $290.00 ea and rock solid in my experience. The Nano flash could even be in a different room from the camera, as could the computer using SDI cabling.

Just a few thoughts.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Aug 12, 2010 at 5:24:26 pm

The above post was meant for Greg's surgery setup.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Aug 12, 2010 at 11:59:04 pm

It cannot be stressed enough that it is best to delete on the camera or from Clip Browser. This is the only way to ensure that all the metadata and reference files get updated.

Re Craig's response, the "Media Needs to Be Restored" messages are usually the result of someone having traversed the BPAV using the Mac Finder. When you do this, the Mac OS places a small file with info about the folder layout in each directory you open. The files themselves are harmless but when the camera comes out of media mode and looks at the card it sees files that don't belong there and asks to "restore" the media. It doesn't delete the files so until the card is reformatted the message will continue to appear.

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]