FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 far red fix in Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
derik thadd
EX3 far red fix in Final Cut Pro
on Aug 11, 2010 at 10:44:28 pm

Just did a shoot with the EX3 and learned that hard way that black fabric looks brown when captured. reading some posts I now know that the teffen T1 R1 filer will fix this issue during a shoot but I now need to fix it in post... is there a plug-in out there that will fix this issue in post production? If so, what is it? If not, is there another quick fix that someone can recommend? I'd rather not have to re-shoot and this footage has to match other camera angles that recorded blacks correctly!

DT

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX3 far red fix in Final Cut Pro
on Aug 11, 2010 at 11:59:29 pm

One or two clicks with the black balance eye dropper in the 3 way colour corrector used to do it for me.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

derik thadd
on Aug 12, 2010 at 12:09:18 am

That fixes the brown shirt but makes everything else look greenish. DT

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 12, 2010 at 12:31:40 am

I guess that wouldn't be to noticeable if you interviewing a martian.
I think if you used the color masking feature in the 3 Way you could just target that color.
BTW this doesn't happen with all blacks. I believe it's certain synthetic fabrics and how they handle infrared spectrum not visible to the eye but is visible to the camera. In other words, black wool, linen, cotton might not be affected.

Return to posts index

derik thadd
on Aug 12, 2010 at 4:29:15 am

yea... there are some clothes that are unaffected by the IR contamination because of the materials used to make them. Very strange issue. I'm going to get a filter to put on the lens so this never happens again!

DT

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 12, 2010 at 2:42:54 am

Low the blacks and use the "Desaturate Lows"
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

derik thadd
on Aug 12, 2010 at 4:32:08 am

There is a dark wood background that becomes black when I desaturate the lows so this won't work:-( I think I will have to use After FX and create a mask around the garment to change only the color of it.

DT

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 12, 2010 at 4:47:53 am

Please read my above post about the feature in the 3 way Color Corrector which allows you to isolate a color. It's not the "lows." You isolate the color and can shift the hue and/or desaturate. You can see the mask so you know you've correctly isolated the color. It's the same method to create the "Pleasentville" effect.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 12, 2010 at 11:29:51 am

.or use Colors.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Startek
on Aug 12, 2010 at 5:18:50 pm

Isn't he trying to get rid of "Colors" in the blacks?

Return to posts index

derik thadd
on Aug 12, 2010 at 5:25:30 pm

There are other brown objects that I would like to keep brown like the wood paneled background. The color of the background is too similar to the brown colored shirt so I can't isolate just the color in the shirt without affecting the color of the background. I think I'm going to have to mask the shirt in After FX one frame at a time...

DT

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 12, 2010 at 5:27:30 pm

That's far too broad a swath as a good color grader would know. Not being able to NARROWLY select the color (hue), saturation, luminance, may mean one is selecting neighboring colors. Getting rid of dark browns in black cloth may also get rid of the dark brown in wood for example. The subtle difference can be tightly controlled by defining the terms of a color mask.

Simply selecting the lows in the color wheel just isn't going to be accurate enough as one would select all dark items rather than just the browns that need to be shifted or desaturated.

If 3 Way Color corrector can't get it close enough, Red Giant Colorista II can combine color masks and "power" masks if one needs to "hold back" other items from contaminated by the color mask.

Think of how a physical filter is working. It's not affecting all lows. It's just impacting a spectrum of color. Basically one is trying to recreate that selectivity in post.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]