FORUMS: list search recent posts

broadcast SD lens on the PMW-350?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dave matti
broadcast SD lens on the PMW-350?
on Aug 9, 2010 at 2:02:07 pm

Hi there,
I am looking to update my camera. I have been using a DVCAM from Ikegami for years and was very happy with it. Now I need to go XDCAM HD, and the 700 is the standard in this market, but it is too expensive for me as a freelancer and (very) small independent provider. So I thought the PMW-350 might be good, coupled with an external recording device to get the 50 4:2:2 format.

Here is my problem: I feel that the included lens (K model) is pretty cheap. I own both a Fujinon A17x7.8 BERM full broadcast very high quality SD lens, which is in perfect shape, as well as a Canon broadcast wideangle (also SD). My question is, how much will these lenses affect quality, or told in another way, is it possible that the 1'500$ included HD lens is better than my 25'000$ SD lens when using the 350 camera in HD mode?

All opinions are welcome.

Oh, and this: I cannot afford to buy a full HD lens at this time. Only the camera. So it would either be the combo "K" with the included cheap lens, or the SD lens mentioned above. Thanks.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Felix Halter
Re: broadcast SD lens on the PMW-350?
on Aug 11, 2010 at 5:25:09 am

Hi Dave
I'm almost in the same situation with my Fujinon A22x7.8 BERM SD Broadcast lens. The stock lens on the 350K is amazing for it's prize, and yes, I think it's better than the SD lens for HD. The weak point on this lens is the jerky zoom on low speeds but you might be lucky and get a smooth one. For slow zooms I use the SD lens but mostly I shoot with the stock lens, it's also lighter than the SD-lens and it communicates better with the camera (back focus, metadata ...). And if you ever sell the camera it sells easier with the lens.

Return to posts index

pat makiri
Re: broadcast SD lens on the PMW-350?
on Mar 4, 2012 at 9:45:51 am

I own a SONY PMW 350K, DSR 450 and DSR 570 and i use top end SD Fujinon lenses of my other cameras on the 350. Yes the lens on PMW 350K is cheap but very very good in HD mode. It shoots great pics better than a top end SD lens when shooting in HD mode. Only problem with kit lens is the zoom, it gets a bit jittery. The best way iv'e found to use SD lens on the PMW 350 is by installing CBK-DV01 SD Record and Playback Key for PMW350. I installed it my self its easy just a couple of screws, a bit scary when you open the camera up it looks like a computer inside. With the card added the camera acts like a normal SD camera and the pics are just beautiful when using top end SD lenses. I use a nano flash connected via SDI for 4.2.2 uncompressed and still a great choice if you only have 4.2.0. color spacing and lower than 50 mbps bit rates. When shooting HD i use the kit lens and try not to use the zoom much. I love the PMW 350 it is an awesome camera for the money. The colours are very vibrant and in low lighting its great. I have shot a few hundred hours on the camera and not experienced any of the problems related to CMOS sensors, panning, fast movement etc. I have noticed banding with camera flashes but no big deal. Sony has done a great job of this camera. It has USB, copy data backward and forward to the Sxs cards, 24p, under crank, over crank, time lapse, Unbelievable audio and colour settings. The camera pics are too Sharpe and need to be adjusted down, sounds weird aye too Sharpe.
Hope you enjoy when you buy. Pat

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]