FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 mistake when transferring file

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Ng
EX3 mistake when transferring file
on Aug 7, 2010 at 3:19:01 am

When i transfer files out of my EX3 camera i only took files from the CLPR directly from the cam to the hard disk. it was only a day later i was told that i needed to use XDCAM transfer but the original data on the camera was deleted. When i tried to use XDCAM transfer on the CLPR folders no clips were detected.
is there any way to save the clips?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX3 mistake when transferring file
on Aug 7, 2010 at 5:01:49 am

It's better to ask questions before one undertakes a workflow one might not understand. Learn the workflow first.

My own peeve about people's approach to file based media is that some seem to forger video fundamentals that do not change. If one were to shoot on Betacam one wouldn't rip the tape out of the cassette. The BPAV is the cassette and I could never imagine that a camera manufacturer would chose a recording structure that was supposed to be ignored by the end user.

ClipBrowser with CRC on to copy clips. XDCAM transfer to re-wrap to MOV.

If the orphaned MP4 are imported into ClipBrowser it will create a new BPAV. I've heard that can now be done with XDCAM Transfer as well but I haven't tried this.

You may also try Calibrated Software's EX MP4 plugin for FCP which may allow direct import of the MP4.

In either case you've lost the original metadata contained in the BPAV although I don't know if that's important to any future workflow.

Return to posts index

Olanrewaju Olakunle
on Aug 7, 2010 at 6:15:18 pm

It may still be possible just open up your clip browser and click file and you see import click it and navigate to where you copied the clips and import and every thing should bew OK but just in case import is greyed out you may need to select folder in clipbrowser explorer.

good luck

Spirit

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Aug 9, 2010 at 2:12:31 pm

Hi Gary,

You can import a free-standing MP4 with either Clip Browser or XDCAM Transfer. In CB, highlight the destination folder in one of the Explorer windows, then go to File-->Import and import the MP4. The advantage to this method is that the imported file wile be embedded in a new BPAV folder should you need the full directory structure later.

Alternately you can point XDCAM Transfer to the folder (e.g. "Desktop," "Best Clips Ever" etc) where the MP4s reside and it will see them and allow you to import them into FCP. Note that you need to use the latest version of XDCAM Transfer (2.12) to work with MP4s that are not embedded in a BPAV directory. Also note that you can't save metadata (in Transfer, the "Save Changes" command) back to an MP4 source that does not contain a BPAV as the changes need to be stored in reference files that are not present.

Hope this is helpful...

Cheers,

Ian

Return to posts index

Gary Ng
on Aug 12, 2010 at 1:03:01 pm

awesome things worked out find and i got the clips back thanks guys

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]