FORUMS: list search recent posts

OK Decisions! 5D vs EX1R

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
malek haneen
OK Decisions! 5D vs EX1R
on Aug 6, 2010 at 9:22:26 pm

I dont know what to do! Im a independant film maker and I have 2 films coming up with great scripts!

I own a SOny EX1R. Now I hear the resolution is better then a 5d Mark 2. But everyone is switching to these DSLR's! Are they really better?
If sound doesnt matter, I have a seperate soundboard and switcher. Then what camera is better guys?
Anyone give me the reality of it? I wanna show these on the big screen and I read that the 5d has problems with going big screen.

Also I have a letus extreme adapter for my EX1R so I have the DOF. But that cancels any night shots, where as the DSLR does good night

Return to posts index

Olanrewaju Olakunle
Re: OK Decisions! 5D vs EX1R
on Aug 6, 2010 at 10:43:33 pm

I think u are good with the 2 just use them when the need arise and try to avoid their pitfalls as much as possible, it seems u already have an idea or two about thier uses so i dont want to start talking about that. so in summary make the best out of the two and you will definately be better off.

Spirit

Return to posts index

malek haneen
on Aug 6, 2010 at 11:35:51 pm

I think you misundestood. I ONLY have the EX1r. I was thinking about selling it for the 5D mark 2. My questions is should i? And what are the benefits to either if im doing features and shorts

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 7, 2010 at 12:36:06 am

Please see this about Sony NEX-VG10. I suspect a "Pro" model is coming soon.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=1...

Return to posts index

malek haneen
on Aug 7, 2010 at 1:51:40 am

That looks like a cool idea but 60i is garbage. I wish they had a 24p version. ANyway no one has really said if the 5d or ex1 are better...

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Aug 7, 2010 at 4:37:06 am

Hi Malek,

If you haven't read this already, check it out; it might answer some of your questions.

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/hdslrs-for-video-beyond-the-hype

Dave J

Return to posts index

malek haneen
on Aug 7, 2010 at 5:32:17 am

Ok I think Im sold. But do I get the 7d or 5d? There is no movie mode for the 5d. But are the lenses for the 7d not able to work on future cameras?
Price difference of around $800....I just dont know which one is better!
Do either have output to HD for an external monitor? Or does Magic Latern fix that?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 7, 2010 at 4:53:43 am

The VG10 is a precursor to a "Pro" version camera that will have a large sensor but far more video/filmmaker friendly in form factor, controls, features. It depends on whether you can wait. Both Panasonic and Sony are working on more "video" friendly form and features and the VG10 is just the first out the door "consumer" version of what will inevitably lead to video professional versions.

"Better" is not the right way to look at it. Is a hammer better than a screwdriver. They're different tools.

Issues with the 5D may be form factor, audio quality, rolling shutter, 12 minute record duration. The latest firmware fixed many of the earlier issues. None of these may be problems at all depending on your shooting style. It can be excellent for a dramatic film but might not be if it's an action or sports film.
You've noted the tradeoff in resolution and light loss with Letus adaptor.

I think you'll have to list the pluses and minuses for the two cameras relative to the specific films you'll be shooting.

Return to posts index

Bob Pierce
on Aug 7, 2010 at 1:09:49 pm

One more thing about the 5D: the camera drops to SD external monitoring while recording.
If you're really going to shoot with one of these you're going to need lots of add-ons, hand held rig, loupe viewfinder, follow focus, etc.

http://www.lightstreamassociates.com

Mac Pro 2.66 - 8GB memory -
Mac Book Pro 2.33 Duo -
FC Studio 2 - Kona Lhe
Adobe Production Suite CS4 -
Sony Multiformat 14" - Panasonic 42" Plasma -
Ikegami HLDV7 - PVW EX-1

Return to posts index

Craig Moore
on Aug 8, 2010 at 12:36:24 am

I thought long and hard about DSLR or EX1 before I bought my EX1R. I knew photogs who had 5D/7D so i was able to get all kinds of in the field notes.

In a nutshell the DSLRs are akin to traditional filmaking cameras. If you have a great lens kit to compliment the DLSR body (and know the strengths of each) then you have a great tool. But you need that flexibility to match what an all-in-one camera like the EX1 (or any good video camera) is and has built in.

Plus, as I am a small crew or single shooter, having XLR and good audio monitoring and all the other builtin stuff with the ex1 tramples anything a DSLR has. Especially if you already have a letus and extrenal sound. Don't get caught up, the DSLR can create great shots and kill in tight spaces but they are a tool.

If I were you I'd pickup a 7D (which is a dual sensor and very good) or even a T2i (which has the same senor BTW) to add to your shots and toolkit. Add lenses as budget allows or even better if you know some pro photogs, bring them along and hire them to bring their kit as a 2nd unit or 1st unit that you can DOP/direct. Then you can really see the in and outs of it.

DSLR shooting as a single shoot is very challenging, it is best done as a film crew with focus pullers, and all the fun.

Now that I have my EX1R, I so know i made the right decision, and if I want to up the resolution I can get a Nano flash or something else to capture the SDI out.

Hope that helps

thanks
Craig

Spider Video
http://spidervideo.tv
XDCAM Ex1-R
MacPro FCP3

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 9, 2010 at 12:58:29 pm

[Craig Seeman] "The VG10 is a precursor to a "Pro" version camera"
Amazing.
The best of the DSRL rush is that is pushingd a new generation of video cameras.
I've never saw the manufacturers reacting that fast to the real needs and trends of the consumers. Was time.
In the next few months we gonna see incredible devices.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Aug 9, 2010 at 2:31:32 pm

I love my 7D and it's fun to take out and play around with for video but unless I had a specific situation for which a DSLR is the clear-cut best solution, I'd never trade a video camera for it. A camera such as an EX1R is a great video camera without having to make all sorts of time-consuming and work-intensive concessions and extra provisions in workflow. Sometimes a DSLR is the exact tool for the shot, but most of the time I dare say it isn't. Yet.

If your question was between a 5D and a second EX1R, I'd say go for it and have a gear selection that allows you to choose when to use each. If you're asking whether to ditch the Sony and get a DSLR, I think you'd find that a painful proposition in the long run.

Don't compare list price of a 5D vs an EX1R, either. The EX doesn't need all sorts of expensive rigging to get it to work, additional technicians to pull focus and that sort of thing, and it just simply does a lot of video-related things BETTER outside of image quality.

Look at some of the behind-the-scenes stories on a lot of the really stunning DSLR videos out there, and you'll find that they've got a half dozen or more highly trained people working to make that 5D put out the kind of images you see.

C

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Aug 9, 2010 at 2:39:49 pm

Here's a plan...

Keep the EX1 and buy a Canon T2i (they're so cheap that it's hard to justify NOT buying one). Use each camera when it's appropriate. Since you have a Letus, I assume you own/have access to good lenses that might work with the T2i. Then, you've got the best of both worlds (to a degree) and very little cost involved.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Aug 9, 2010 at 5:55:01 pm

Something else to keep in mind: as I understand it, the 5D takes the 35mm full-frame and compresses it to 1080p @ 50mbps, meaning you don't really get the resolution of an uncompressed full-frame camera like an ARRI, RED or Sony F-35.

Dave J

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 9, 2010 at 6:19:13 pm

Remember how a few years ago Red promised Scarlet.

Let's not forget that a $2-$3000 solution is not going to be a match for a $30,000+ solution. For many people, they'll be quite happy to have DOF control at an affordable price for 1080p work. I really think we'll see $6-$10,000 solutions that will be a lot more video friendly in both features and ergonomics than DSLR. The support gear and crew needed to really take advantage of DSLR for video use gets quite expensive. If you're a one man band indy/doc producer who also needs to do corporate work and local cable spots, that camera is coming soon my guess.

On the other hand, if you MUST get going now and have the crew and can amass all the ancillary gear you can go DSLR. The problem though is how budget worthy is it to buy all that DSLR support gear only to find it's all eclipsed in just a few months. I think the VG10 is the writing on the wall and now would be the time I'd be cautious in investing in DSLR for video work. I probably wouldn't be saying that if the VG10 hadn't been released.

And if you listen to all the 3D advocates now is a really crappy time to buy a camera. You're going to have large sensor video competing with smaller sensor 3D.

Return to posts index

John Young
on Aug 17, 2010 at 10:22:31 pm

The company I work for has a EX-1 that I shoot a lot on, and I really love it. That being said, I want to buy a camera for my personal/freelance work and I am pretty sure I'm going DSLR even though I plan on a lot of documentary/run and gun shooting.

Here is how I look at it: $8,000 for a great, easy to use camera setup (including memory, audio, etc). Or $4,000 for a 7D DSLR setup with better image quality (big sensor, shallow DOF, low light capabilities) that might be more cumbersome to use.

If you have a $30,000 budget, then maybe your thinking is different, but my thinking is: I can get a great image with $4,000, go out and start shooting (and start making money) NOW or I can save up for a 6 more months, then buy a camera and still not have the DOF and low light performance of a DSLR.
It might not be the most convenient shooting but for those reasons I think I am willing to deal with that.

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 17, 2010 at 10:33:56 pm

[John Young] "Here is how I look at it: $8,000 for a great, easy to use camera setup (including memory, audio, etc). Or $4,000 for a 7D DSLR setup with better image quality (big sensor, shallow DOF, low light capabilities) that might be more cumbersome to use."

You need to take a LONG hard look at "cumbersome" especially when you combine with doc and run and gun. There's some serious disadvantages such as potentially really bad rolling shutter, having to deal with second sound, trying to focus, changing focus when following action, just off the top of my head. HDSLR may be great with very controlled shoots (think narrative film or music video with some crew support) but there's a mess of situations where clients are going to be unhappy given the complexity and issue compared to a properly designed video camera.

Sony came out with the NEX-VG10 for a reason and I'd fully expect they'll expand on that. Panasonic also has a large sensor camera coming out soon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]