FORUMS: list search recent posts

media restore freeze

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Herman
media restore freeze
on Aug 1, 2010 at 7:13:48 pm

HELLLLLPPPP! Just returned from a full day's shoot of my son's 1000 miles in 10 days charity bike ride. My first card Transcend 16 in MxR (which has 59 minutes of my 90 minute total) gave me a restore media when the camera was powered down and powered up again. (probably before the green light came on or something) and when I executed it froze at 5%. The only way I could continue with the day was to remove the battery as the camera was frozen and wouldn't even power down. Now when I put the card into my macbook pro and use clip browser there are folders but both cb and shot put pro say they are corrupt and xdcam transfer won't read them. Some of them appear empty. Put it back into my ex3 and it asks to restore media and then freezes at 5% again. Oh please camera gods tell me it is not all lost.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: media restore freeze
on Aug 2, 2010 at 7:15:50 am

Hrm- is there another EX camera you can get your hands on to try a restore? Search through this forum as well- there are services and applications for media restore you can try as well.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Aug 2, 2010 at 4:08:19 pm

Hi David,

There's a strong possibility that the video files are intact and that only the metadata was corrupted/damaged. Try mounting the card to your computer and using Clip Browser (v2.6) to manually import the mp4s. When you do this all the clip metadata from the BPAV folder structure is rebuilt.

Create a new folder and highlight it in one of the Explorer windows in CB. Then go to File-->import and browse to the first mp4 file on the card (/BPAV/CLPR/###....where ### refers to the numbered clip folders, e.g. 10001_01). Try and import it. If you can proceed, use the same process for each file. If you are successful, you will end up with a new BPAV with all your files.

Good luck and do let me know if you are successful...

Best regards,

Ian

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 2, 2010 at 4:33:32 pm

BTW I think Sony added something like a "rebuild" option with EX1 1.11 firmware update. It's not documented and I don't know if it's relevant to this issue as a result but it's worth trying.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Aug 2, 2010 at 7:42:35 pm

David, over 24 hours have elapsed and I'm holding my breath - well???

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

David Herman
on Aug 3, 2010 at 6:13:47 pm

The news is not good. In fact it has gotten worse (if that is possible?) Returned to the scene of my crime (9 hours round trip) Shot using my two 8gb Sony cards in the rain and then the sun burst out and I was back to MxR with a different 16gb card (yes transcend, I have nothing else on hand) Gorgeous scenes of the lads giving it all climbing the hills of the lake district with me in the back of a 4x4. Card one said ready to change to next card. No, thought I, not going to allow that to muddy the waters. Stopped recording. Manually changed slots. Finished shooting. Little else to shoot. And guess what? The first card (of the last two) is recognised by nothing. Not the camera, not my powerbook, not my pc. (could I have switched slots before the light went green?) In the first go around (yesterday's shoot) the card was recognised but the files corrupt. Tonight nada. I am going to cry then I am going to upgrade the firmware on my ex3 tonight and then tomorrow before I execute what is now a 12 hour round trip I am going to buy Sony SxS. I will sell a bunch of other kit to sponsor this - never again shooting a second on cheap alternatives! Lesson learned. And now having cried, is there anyone with advice about saving my material from the mess saving twopence has created?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Aug 3, 2010 at 6:30:14 pm

David-

So in this case the cards do not mount to any PC/Mac and are not recognized by the camera at all? If you try to do an 'Update' from Menu->Others-->Clip is that slot available or is it ghosted? If not, can you try the update? When you look at it on your PC/Mac, do Disk Management/Disk Utility show even a broken/unmounted volume or nothing at all?

Ian

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 3, 2010 at 6:56:11 pm

Media corruption can happen but it seems what's being described is complete card failure.
Personally I wouldn't trust Transcend but this may be a case if either poor manufacturing or even counterfeit cards. I think complete card failure is rare so I'd be concerned about the underlying issue rather than simply putting it to cheap cards.

Keep in mind that many of the highest of high end professional photographers use SDHC cards and their careers depend on their reliability. The kind of failure you're having is not that of the "card can't maintain the data rate" variety.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Aug 6, 2010 at 4:33:29 pm

Don't rule out the MxR adaptor as the culprit. On a shoot last week, I gave my 2nd shooter a blank Transcend card to put in his own Hoodman adaptor, and he immediately got a "Restore Media" message. He powered the camera on & off, and even re-seated the card, with the same result. I took the card out and put in in one of my own MxR adaptors and, no message. It worked fine for the rest of the day. The is the second time this has happened with this shooter. My guess is that it has something to do with the adaptor, not the card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]