FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing XDCAM - Dual 2.7(w Kona2) vs Octo-core

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Blokland
Editing XDCAM - Dual 2.7(w Kona2) vs Octo-core
on Jul 31, 2010 at 3:52:37 pm

Hi folks:

I'm editing a feature doc shot on EX1 XDCAM. I've got a Dual 2.7 G5 with a Kona 2 card. I'm on the verge of upgrading and am wondering if the higher speed of an Octo-core MacPro will mean that I won't have to render dissolves/colour correction in FCP? Right now, I can get limited FX in realtime on my current set-up, and when I switch to Unlimited RT, a bit more, but the framerate drops.

Any real-world advice much appreciated.

Best, JIM.

OSX.5.6
Dual 2.7 G5
5.5 GB RAM
Radeon X800 XT
Kona 2 / K-Box
Seritek 1.5 TB RAID
AVID XPRESS PRO/MOJO

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Editing XDCAM - Dual 2.7(w Kona2) vs Octo-core
on Jul 31, 2010 at 3:58:08 pm

I think I'd start with an HD Kona card (LHe) , however I edit tons of stuff with my MacBookPRO without a monitor. You don't need a faster computer but it would be nice.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 31, 2010 at 4:06:08 pm

The first thing I bought after my EX1 was my Octo Core going from my Dua 2.3 G5. Intel Processor is a MUST. Lots of real time.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 31, 2010 at 4:24:39 pm

I thought the 2.7 was Intel. Is it a Power PC???

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Jim Blokland
on Jul 31, 2010 at 4:45:38 pm

Hi guys:

Thanks for the prompt replies. I figured the Octo would make a huge difference. The Kona 2 card is a full HD I/O card, but the Dual 2.7 is a PPC...obviously I am getting progressively hamstrung using this machine. I bought Avid MC5 and can't run it, same with FCS 3. Sounds like it's time to pull the trigger.

I had mostly been waiting to see if I could get away without having to also buy a Kona 3, and I'm considering using and MX02 Mini for monitoring, for the time being, and then maybe if the Kona 4 or a revamped Kona LHi comes out after NAB, I'll purchase it then.

Thanks again for your reponses. Very much appreciated.

Best, JIM.

OSX.5.6
Dual 2.7 G5
5.5 GB RAM
Radeon X800 XT
Kona 2 / K-Box
Seritek 1.5 TB RAID
AVID XPRESS PRO/MOJO

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 31, 2010 at 5:49:51 pm

Hey Jim,

Sorry for any confusion, I thought the Kona 2 was only SD, you are right it is both SD and HD, however I believe it is a PCI-x card and when you pull the trigger for an 8 core it may not work as the newer Mac's are PCIe slots.
When I was shopping a few years ago I discounted the Kona 2 because of this, and somehow my memory recalls it as SD and the real issue was the slot type, my bad.

As I said I edit on my Mac Book PRO (INTEL) so this maybe an option and you could support this with the Matrox (MXO2) products if you have the need to be portable.

BTW I would love the new 12 core Mac Pro if I could afford it.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 31, 2010 at 6:04:15 pm

[Michael Palmer] "BTW I would love the new 12 core Mac Pro if I could afford it."

I think it's only "transitional." I think when FCS4 comes out we'll see another MacPro and it may have a GPU which accelerates FC as well as either LightPeak or USB3.

I fear making purchasing in which key components change. One has to look at one's business upgrade cycle and ROI for those decisions. If one's gut tells you there's going to be a major change one might just get a current Quad Core knowing you'll be buying another system within 12-18 months. Basically I decide if the purchase is going to be a 36 month purchase or an 18 month purchase. I avoid the latter. If you have a G5 though you MUST upgrade. Of course maybe I'm completely wrong about the next MacPro but given Premiere Pro's Mercury Engine / CUDA and USB3 on the horizon, I really expect Apple will jump with FCS4.

With Apple, software is the bait for expensive hardware purchases so I think FCS4 will take advantage of things that don't exist yet in MacPro.

BTW being an EX user like the rest of us here, I'm watching closely Sony's use of large chip cameras. I can't help that the $2000 AVCHD consumer model they just came out with will be followed by a Pro version at next NAB.

It's frustrating how everything has such short life cycles. When people marvel at how inexpensive great gear has gotten (EX is a good example) they may not realize that it's been coupled with shorter life cycles.

Return to posts index

Jim Blokland
on Aug 1, 2010 at 5:57:32 pm

Hi guys:

Yes, the thought of 24 virtual cores is pretty compelling, but I agree with Craig -- I suspect this is the last iteration of the current design, with a new design (or at least some new major technology) coming next. Of course, when that will happen is anyone's guess. Given that it took Apple such a long time to refresh the current Mac Pro, it's questionable how long that will be.

So I think I'm looking at an 18 month purchase. And then maybe a top-of-the-line new Mac Pro in 2012! : > )

Best, JIM.

OSX.5.6
Dual 2.7 G5
5.5 GB RAM
Radeon X800 XT
Kona 2 / K-Box
Seritek 1.5 TB RAID
AVID XPRESS PRO/MOJO

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Aug 2, 2010 at 7:49:31 pm

But Craig, if we're happy with the quality of work we're doing with whatever current gear we use why the constant urge to upgrade? All these whiz features don't really assist the creative aspects and I bet your stuff looks and sounds terrific, along with most of us using the EX cameras.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 2, 2010 at 8:42:43 pm

[Michael Slowe] "But Craig, if we're happy with the quality of work we're doing with whatever current gear we use why the constant urge to upgrade? All these whiz features don't really assist the creative aspects"

The problem is sometimes upgrades are not creatively driven. Personally speed bumps are no reason to upgrade (as the new MacPro 12 core is) unless your business is heavily speed dependent. New connectivity (USB3 or LightPeak) may lock you out of other cost effective equipment purchases or even cost effective workflows.

Cameras are yet a different story. Again the change must be something both radical and something your clients will either demand or you believe you can market them successfully to pay for. What that is really depends on your clients.

I don't have an urge to upgrade at all. I do believe within the next 12 months we will see a few moderately radical changes that will make it worth while. The speed and connectivity shift will be business changing on the MacPro that comes out around the next FCS upgrade (my prediction). If the $2000 large sensor "pro summerish" camera is an indication than the next $6000 camera from Sony, although may not be a "must" will offer easy DOF control if that's important to you or your clients.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]