FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX 3 XDCAM Format for film Question

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Mims
EX 3 XDCAM Format for film Question
on Jul 30, 2010 at 7:30:39 pm

I have a feature film to shoot with the EX 3 now that I have seen that Michael Mann used it on Public Enemies with great success. Have any of you also transfer EX 3 footage and know what format and frame rate is best to use if it is eventually going to go to 35mm film for theater projection?
24P or 1080 60i. What other problems should I be aware of in so doing?

Mims

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX 3 XDCAM Format for film Question
on Jul 30, 2010 at 7:32:54 pm

[William Mims] "1080 60i"

Interlaced film. What a concept.
No I haven't done it but I can't fathom anything other than 24p (which is really 23.98 to be sure you don't run into sync sound issues).

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 31, 2010 at 8:55:22 am

Seriously- Mann did it for you? A- that was a veteran DP with a huge budget and massive crew. B- the EX was for the occasional POV shot. The bulk of PE was shot on Sony F23s = 6 figure cameras with 6 figure lens packages.

Shoot away- but don't think for a second that having the EX3 in your hands somehow makes you Michael Mann. No more than getting a Nerf Football makes you Peyton Manning...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Jul 31, 2010 at 12:09:43 pm

Craig, thanks, a potential sync problem is one thing I will consider. I was hoping for someone that has actually worked with a film lab and has expertise in all the tech side of solving the problem of getting a video shot project to 35mm film, rather than if I think I am Michael Mann or not.
In the 'old' days it was simply 3, 2 pull down, and getting rid of scan lines. Now there is so many more possibilities with being able to shoot in 24p. The fact that a little EX 3 was able to be used in PE at all is what is encouraging. Of course a F23 with great lens is a much better route to take. In the meantime, there are projects that can go to market with much smaller budgets thanks to this new technology. That means more filmmakers have a chance at competing with big studio budgets to tell their story. Hopefully there is someone that actually knows film labs that can answer my original question.

Mims

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 31, 2010 at 2:19:33 pm

Everyone who has used the EX for film has shot 24p. There's no reason to do otherwise unless you want to waste money and time. Film is 24 and the transfer is easiest. Just make sure that the sound people understand the source is 23.98 and not 24.

EX has been used in MANY films and TV shows as B and C cameras. District 9, all the "video journalist" style stuff in the "camp."

The other key is shooting with proper picture profile that gives you the best range for compositing and grading. Generally that's shooting "flatter" rather than creating a film look in the camera which limit how much the codec can get pushed. It's probably best to add a NanoFlash to get a better source codec.

In short, your shutter speed is too fast, you likely where panning to fast for your frame rate, the shutter speed also impacted your exposure. depth of field can impact the viewer's perception of motion in the background. You really should learn how to control this not only technically but aesthetically.

Any suggestion anyone makes here might be right for one situation and wrong for another so you need to learn this stuff. Then when you target and result and don't get it we might be able to help trouble shoot.

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Jul 31, 2010 at 2:39:02 pm

Craig, very helpful and yes I am considering the Nanoflash as the best way to record. Would it be better to have the sound fed into the camera in order to hold sync or is that a post/lab fix later? I am seeing so many indy films on Netflix (for example) that were shot in video and went right to DVD / cable distribution. I am expecting the same but want to cover the possibility of a limited theatrical release by shooting 24P and proper picture profiles that give the best look. What I am seeing in indy films is the attitude that in video you just point and shoot, fix it in post. My experience is in 16/35mm film where you have to be careful because you don't know what you have until the lab results are back. Taking that same care in video results in much better finished product.
Craig, this was all very helpful and I am sure others reading this thread will be helped by your expertise. Thanks.

Mims

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 1, 2010 at 6:20:45 am

[William Mims] "Would it be better to have the sound fed into the camera in order to hold sync or is that a post/lab fix later?"

Use double system sound, that is, have a dedicated sound recordist with their own self contained gear and also use a mic on your camera to record the sound but for sync purposes only.

[William Mims] " I am expecting the same but want to cover the possibility of a limited theatrical release by shooting 24P and proper picture profiles that give the best look."

Alister Chapman has a good little video that explains the numerous gamma curves available for the EX cameras. More importantly, he talks about what the curves do and which one to use for your particular application.

http://www.xdcam-user.com/?page_id=13

Have a look at the second one down.Then there's these tutorials from Sony:

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/tips.htm

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]