FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ex1 to final cut

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anton Cherenkov
Ex1 to final cut
on Jul 28, 2010 at 4:48:01 pm

Hello everyone,

I have recently shot an event for a client using the Sony EX1r. The client edits in Final Cut Pro and I am an Adobe Premier Pro user. I released the mp4 raw footage that I transferred from the sxs cards through the xd cam transfer software and the client is unable to get it into the final cut pro. He sees the files but they are all 15 sec long. I have no problem getting them into Adobe premier cs5. I was wondering if there is a way for me to use the xd cam software utility to transfer the raw mp4 files to mov. ( quicktime).
Or maybe there is a way to transfer the raw footage in mp4 to final cut without encoding them to mov.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
Re: Ex1 to final cut
on Jul 28, 2010 at 5:38:25 pm

Did you try the manuals for XDCam Transfer? I found them to be VERY enlightening.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 28, 2010 at 5:45:04 pm

Did you give the client the full BPAV folders or just the MP4?
If it's the latter it's a big mistake. BPAV are the camera masters. Giving someone the MP4 is like ripping the tape out of a Beta or VHS cassette and handing them just the tap over and expecting they can somehow import that.

They may be using a demo of CalibratedSoftware's MP4 plugin for Final Cut Pro. If you've destroyed the BPAV then you'll probably have to buy the plugin for them so that they can use the full clips. They still won't have the original metadata though.

Sage advice: "When making bombs it's best to ask "how to" before, not after it blows up in your hands."

OK I'm sorry if I'm making assumptions but it sounds like you handed them MP4s rather than asking what to do first.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 30, 2010 at 10:13:33 pm

If he's got BPAV he can use free Sony XDCAM Transfer to rewrap to .mov.
ClipBrowser won't do it. XDCAM Transfer is a Mac tool.
Also if he installs the free Sony Log & Transfer plugin, they can import into Final Cut Pro and it'll be rewrapped to MOV on import.
He'd need FCP 6.0.3 or later.

Since you gave him BPAV you've done everything you need to do especially since you're on Windows.

Sony XDCAM Transfer Software for Mac
https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-software-model-PDZKP1.aspx
Sony Log & Transfer Plugin for Mac
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcamexsite/resource.downloads.bbsccms-a...

If he's only seeing 15 seconds he likely has the demo of the Calibrated Software EX MP4 plugin. He can buy that and use the MP4 directly in FCP as well. Requires FCP 6.0.6 and up.
http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MP4EXImport_Mac.asp

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Aug 2, 2010 at 3:35:09 pm

Hi Anton,

It sounds like you send him raw .mp4s and he is viewing them using a demo version of XD-decode. He will need the full BPAV directory structure for XDCAM Transfer to decode the files. If he does not have this, he can use Clip Browser 2.6 to rebuild the BPAV and related metadata from the raw mp4s.

To do this, point one of the Explorer windows in CB to the destination where the new BPAV will reside (your scratch disk, desktop etc). Then go to FILE-->Import and manually import the mp4s. If they are all in one place this can be done in one import by shift clicking or control clicking the .mp4s. When this process is complete the target folder will contain a new BPAV. Add the new target folder as a source in XDCAM Transfer by clicking the ADD button in the Source column or by selecting File-->Add Source. Remember to add the parent folder of BPAV, not BPAV itself.

One other thing worth mentioning-- the XD-Decode demo from Calibrated and the XDCAM Transfer plugin from Sony will conflict if they are on the same system. XD-Decode will need to be registered or deleted if they are going to be using XDCAM Transfer.

Hope this helps. If you have additional questions let me know or else you can call our Product Operations group @ 800 883 6817.

Best regards,

Ian

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 2, 2010 at 4:31:19 pm

[Ian Cook] "He will need the full BPAV directory structure for XDCAM Transfer to decode the files."

Not self evident from this thread but Anton did seem to give him the full BPAV.

[Ian Cook] "One other thing worth mentioning-- the XD-Decode demo from Calibrated and the XDCAM Transfer plugin from Sony will conflict if they are on the same system. XD-Decode will need to be registered or deleted if they are going to be using XDCAM Transfer."

I think you're confusing Calibrated plugins On Mac the Calibrated EX XDCAM MP4 player plugin does not conflict with Sony's codec. I have both on my Final Cut Pro on my system.

The conflict would be the Calibrated EX XDCAM MOV player but that's not what's happening in this case because if Aton, on his Windows box, had a method to create EX XDCAM MOV, his client, with FCP 6.0.2 and up, would be able to play those straight away. In fact Anton's quandary is that there is no way to rewrap to EX XDCAM MOV on Windows.

BTW this is why BPAV's MP4 (and not MOV) is the "universal." Anon has done the right thing by giving the client the BPAV. The client apparently doesn't know that they simply need Sony's XDCAM Transfer or Log & Transfer plugin to rewrap the files to MOV or buy the full version of Calibrated's EX XDCAM plugin to use the BPAV's MP4 directly.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Aug 2, 2010 at 4:41:47 pm

Yes, absolutely, the BPAVs are the "universal" because they are the camera originals and can be converted/rewrapped or where applicable imported natively.

I specifically mentioned the XD-decode demo, which does in fact cause conflicts. We've only seen it with the demo version and the symptom is that Calibrated's demo watermarks appear on the thumbnails in transfer and in FCP.

Thanks,

Ian

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Aug 3, 2010 at 10:38:23 pm

Hi,

To clear up any confusion.

1. Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import - this is a QuickTime Import component that allows direct importing and editing of XDCAM EX MP4 files in FCP6/7, QT Player 7, CatDV and FCP Studio applications.

2. Calibrated{Q} XD Decode - this is a QuickTime Decode codec for decoding XDCAM HD/EX & HDV MOV files. This is NOT meant for any computers with FCP - as FCP comes with Apple's own XDCAM/HDV codec.

3. For Windows Computers OR Mac Computers without FCP - Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import must be used in conjuction with Calibrated{Q} XD Decode if you are wanting to open XDCAM EX MP4 files in QT Player 7 or CatDV. Basically, Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import let's QT-based applications see the XDCAM EX MP4 files just like a MOV file;however the proper video codec still needs to be installed to decompress the video - which is what Calibrated{Q} XD Decode does.

4. For Windows Computer OR Mac Computer without FCP - Calibrated{Q} XD Decode enables you to view/use XDCAM HD/EX & HDV MOV files in 3rd-party applications that support QuickTime and QT Player.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]