FORUMS: list search recent posts

PC XDCAM problems playing nicely with FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Dean
PC XDCAM problems playing nicely with FCP
on Jul 27, 2010 at 5:02:10 am

Howdy all!

So, I'm working on this feature project shot on a JVC broadcast camera that outputs to an SD card as XDCAM EX.

Files are/project is
XDCAM EX 720p60 1280 x 720
Audio: 48 k.
file type: Quicktime.

I'm the assistant editor....my job is to cull down each hour-long interview to the usable 10 or 20 minutes and take that to the editor.

I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 on Windows 7 64-bit OS.

My editor is using Final Cut Pro 6.0.6 on OSx 10.5.8.

When I did a test edit and rendered out, he couldn't open it on his end. I rendered out of Premiere using File/Export/Media. I checked the tic box "Match Sequence Settings." It output something the right size and framerate and quality on my end, that was playable in Windows Media Player (but not Quicktime Pro), and my output file had a .MPEG setting. (the input file from the camera is an MPEG with a Quicktime container, right?)

Anyway, what settings should I use to output something that's the right size/framerate and quality in Premiere that my editor will be able to use in FCP? There seems to be no way to check the Premiere tic box "Match Sequence Settings" AND specify outputting as Quicktime (checking the tic box "Match Sequence Settings" makes the file type option become greyed out.)

Any help would be most welcome.

Thank you muchly,
Michael W. Dean

Return to posts index

Michael Dean
Re: PC XDCAM problems playing nicely with FCP
on Jul 27, 2010 at 5:04:26 am

To be clear, I did take Craig's advice and drop the 100 bucks on the Calibrated Software plugin. That helped, so I could at least SEE and EDIT the XDCAM EX files on my PC. Thank you Craig!

MWD

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: PC XDCAM problems playing nicely with FCP
on Jul 27, 2010 at 2:22:50 pm

It's not clear what you output.

FCP with all Sony installs will support EX XDCAM .mov only.
Anything else requires a rewrap but without details from you there can be few suggestions from us.

If it's .mp4 it needs to have a BPAV folder (Mac ClipBrowser can do that).
Then Mac XDCAM Transfer can wrap that to .mov

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]