FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flash card question

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Mims
Flash card question
on Jul 24, 2010 at 8:14:59 pm

I have been using Transcend 16GB cards in my EX3 and have had no problems at all, however when I read the specs on the class 6 cards the write rate is quite a bit lower than the write speed of the camera, why it that and why do I NOT see any stutter frames on my recorded footage?
Is the card putting down a lower quality picture that I am not aware of in order to keep up?
Now Transcend is offering Class 10 cards that are faster, should I switch to those?

Tech challenged Mims

Mims

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
Re: Flash card question
on Jul 24, 2010 at 9:07:24 pm

The specs on the Transcend class 6 SDHC appear to be 8MBps (or 8 megabites per second) write speed. The write speed of Sony EX is 35Mbps (or 35 megabits per second). 8 Megabites is equivalent to 64 megabits. Plenty of headroom. If you haven't already done so, update your EX3 firmware. The new update accomodates SDHC better. That being said, you might as well go with the new class 10 cards. Much faster and with the firmware upgrade should handle over and under cranking (although I haven't tried myself).

Rick

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 25, 2010 at 12:46:02 am

Just a spelling note.
It's 8 megabits to 1 megabYte.

MB = Megabyte
Mb = Megabit
Big B for Byte. Little b for bit.

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Jul 25, 2010 at 2:41:30 am

Rick & Craig:
Thanks for clearing that up for me, so what you are saying is that the Class six cards can more than handle the EX 3 1080i 60/fps.

Mims

Mims

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 26, 2010 at 3:43:00 pm

[William Mims] "EX 3 1080i 60/fps."
Just to be clear i60 is 60 fields a second or 30fps (fps means frames per second to most folks).

[William Mims] "Thanks for clearing that up for me, so what you are saying is that the Class six cards can more than handle the EX 3 1080i 60/fps."

It depends on the firmware as well as the card. Not all class 6 cards are equal.

I also think you don't understand how the EX XDCAM codec specs work. The data rate is the same regardless of frame size 720/1080 or standard frame rate. Only overcranking changes the average data rate.

EX XDCAM is 35Mbps regardless of frame rate or frame size.
720p24/60 overcranking is generally 87.5Mbps as that would target 35Mbps on playback.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]