FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gamma setting to achieve film like quality

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sammy Nyaberi
Gamma setting to achieve film like quality
on Jul 22, 2010 at 9:25:33 am

I shoot documentaries and recently I started shooting short films, I have a problem with setting my gamma so as to achieve true film like picture, I have used the different CINE options. Your help will be highly appreciated, thanks

Sammy N.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Gamma setting to achieve film like quality
on Jul 22, 2010 at 1:48:00 pm

[Sammy Nyaberi] "I have a problem with setting my gamma so as to achieve true film like picture, I have used the different CINE options. "

Sorry but it ranks right up there with the "true" meaning of life. If you watch a lot of "films" you'll not there is no true film like picture. "Film" is an aesthetic which involves technical aspects that a good eye will break down.

There are multiple CINE options and they can be customized because that's what film is about. Creating the aesthetic you desire. There's magic "true" button.

Gamma involves the roll off of blacks and highlights as well as the luminance curve in the middle
Frame rate (usually 24) as shutter speed and handling of things within that temporal motion.
Color grading is a large part of the look and that's very much what you make it.
Stock grain and that's one thing video folks have methods for if that's important during the grading process.
Depth of Field which is controlled by sensor size, 35mm adaptors, tricks regarding opening the iris and zooming in to create the illusion of shallow DOF when needed.

Any number of the above (and other aspects) can be made more or less important depending on the film look YOU want.

First and foremost to ask a question about film look, you have to articulate what you want. The word "film look" let alone "true film look" is near meaningless unless one relishes "meaning of life" questions.

If you're simply asking about gamma than ALL the CINE GAMMAS ARE FILM LOOKS (given the limitations of video's dynamic range).

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 22, 2010 at 2:47:47 pm

yeah now if I could just find the gamma setting that gets me Brad Pitt to star in my movie and an 100 million dollar budget I'd be all set...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jul 22, 2010 at 5:00:04 pm

That's in the hidden menu. Hold ALL camera buttons down while simultaneously switching on the camera and sticking your tongue in the MxR adapter (this has not been tested with MxM or Sony adapters).

Cf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 22, 2010 at 5:21:45 pm

[Clint Fleckenstein] "That's in the hidden menu. Hold ALL camera buttons down while simultaneously switching on the camera and sticking your tongue in the MxR adapter (this has not been tested with MxM or Sony adapters).
"

Don't forget to turn up the Box Office Draw setting. Always turn off the Prima dona or that may cause your bottom line to flicker.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 22, 2010 at 6:29:43 pm

I don't know about all the other junk that was mentioned here but what I DO know is that I got all excited when Clint started talking about his tongue.

On a lighter note:

Sammy, check this out:

http://www.xdcam-user.com/?page_id=13

Watch the 2nd video from the top. I guarantee that you'll be better informed about which gamma to use after watching this.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Sammy Nyaberi
on Jul 28, 2010 at 6:19:25 am

Thanks guys you have helped me greatly

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved