FORUMS: list search recent posts

can't get xdcam open in fcp

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marise nazzaro
can't get xdcam open in fcp
on Jul 21, 2010 at 8:36:34 pm

I have downloaded the plug in but when I go to fcp - import - it is not showing in the drop down. I quit and restart the program... why is it not connecting?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: can't get xdcam open in fcp
on Jul 21, 2010 at 8:49:20 pm

I believe FCP has documentation on working with XDCAM and XDCAM EX. Have you read it? It's called Final Cut Pro 7 Professional Formats and Workflows. Chapter 8 which is page 93. It's in with the other documents Apple hid from us.

Download Sony ClipBrowser to copy clips from card to hard drive.
Download Sony XDCAM Transfer to wrap the files to .mov. You can also open Sony XDCAM Transfer within FCP (once you download the program).
You can also use Log & Transfer if you download the Sony plugin.
Log & Transfer is generally the way file based video media is imported into FCP (with rare exception).

You can use Import if the files are already wrapped to .mov.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 21, 2010 at 8:51:43 pm

Yeah all of this stuff is documented for you- do a little leg work and get back to us. We can't install stuff on your computer for you.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 22, 2010 at 2:11:28 pm

Sometimes I think COW needs to have a "things to do before asking a question" sticky.
First Download The Manual
Search the Manual by typing in the search term.
Once you are confused by the explanation then you can ask on the COW
If the search term doesn't yield expected results explain that in your post. Maybe you need some terms explained.
Search the COW. Maybe your question as already been asked and answered. Note the "tags" at the bottom of posts for some search terms if your question might be related to a post.

Ask the right question.
I admit I'm making assumptions but looking at the original post, a better question might be.
Where do I find the FCP PDF Manual (it wasn't included in FCP7)
Where do I find out how to import clips?

I'm saying this because the OP described a method that indicated to me they hadn't read any of the documentation because there was no mention of ClipBrowser or XDCAM Transfer. The plugin was mentioned but there was no mention they had attempted DOCUMENTED method in the various manuals (XDCAM Transfer or FCP Log & Transfer).

Those asking questions need to keep in mind that those here helping are working professionals. Some of them even charge for their support or training services. Show that you've taken some initiative before asking the question. This gives us background on where the knowledge gap is.

Every software has a version number. Every system has specs. If you ask a doctor for diagnosis on the phone free of charge have the courtesy of providing the details when asking the question.

Just because you have FCP doesn't mean that I know it's FCP 5 on a G4 PowerBook and not FCP7 on a Intel MacPro.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 22, 2010 at 4:15:38 pm

amen... it's called a FAQ and these boards desperately desperately need them...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jul 22, 2010 at 5:22:07 pm

Weird...I couldn't figure out how to use XDCam Transfer either until I read the manual. XDCam Transfer is not all that intuitive...but the manual is.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jul 24, 2010 at 4:29:32 am

Are you going through the "File - Log & Transfer" menu?

You can just import the video clips even though you've installed the plug-in. Instead of using the old file - import, now you will be using file - log & transfer.

I hope I've saved you having to search through the archieves. After all, if someone doesn't want to answer a question, they shouldn't post a reply. We all come here for help, not criticism!

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1, V1U
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
w/ Adobe CS-4 Production Suite, After Effects
& CS-5 Production Suite. Window's 7

Manfrotto Tripod's & Heads