FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 - importing multiple files (shots) as one long file?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
WideWorld HD
EX3 - importing multiple files (shots) as one long file?
on Jul 21, 2010 at 6:19:42 am

Hello,

Im a new EX3 user trying to figure out the best method to get my files into FCP for editing. In my past tape-based workflow, I would often log and capture long sections of footage that contained multiple shots. These clips were often anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes worth of footage, logged and captured as a single clip. Without discussing the advantages or disadvantages of doing it this way, is there anyway to import multiple EX3 files (shots) as a single clip? What would the method be for doing it that way? I really don't want to begin editing a project with hundred, if not thousands of shots imported as individual files. Especially when they all have the generic EX3 imposed file names.

I know I could import all the clips and put them onto a timeline and export longer versions but that would be a pain in butt.

Thanks for any tips you might have.

Sterling Noren
Owner/Editor/Producer
WideWorld HD Productions
Seattle WA

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: EX3 - importing multiple files (shots) as one long file?
on Jul 21, 2010 at 6:41:24 am

[WideWorld HD] "is there anyway to import multiple EX3 files (shots) as a single clip?"

The short answer is no. Here's a previous thread that addresses your query:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/870601#870630

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 21, 2010 at 6:41:50 am

not really- just log them clip by clip and rename. Also you could drop all clips from a bin into one timeline and nest it. But the whole point of shooting tapeless is you automatically get clips as individual shots rather than one long tape...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jul 21, 2010 at 12:17:27 pm

I just finished editing my first full project with footage shot from my EX1R. It was about three minutes and had about 50 original clips. It was really a breeze to import them into FCP in one project. Granted, the clips have random names but they are all in the order you shot them and have thumbnails that you can look at. It could be considered one long clip that you imported from tape. You could put the whole thing in the timeline if you were more comfortable that way.

With a longer more complicated you may want to do a rough edit, rename the clips and dump the clips you know you will never use.

Honestly I found it to be quite intuitive and really seemed to save me a lot of time. Try it...you'll like it.

Return to posts index

WideWorld HD
on Jul 26, 2010 at 5:27:45 am

Yeah I know that I can import a bunch of clips and then export them as a single clip. But then I have to be careful about archiving all of these new clips. It wouldn't be possible to rebuild the sequence later by simply recapturing footage from tape if necessary, right? I would also have to archive all of the new longer clips that I created.

It looks like I am stuck working with a zillion clips for now. I really hate to be stuck with so many clips with the generic EX3 file names. Nor do I relish having to come up with unique file names for all of these individual clips.

Sterling Noren
Owner/Editor/Producer
WideWorld HD Productions
Seattle WA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]