FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render EX-1 Footage in FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cooper Sloan
Render EX-1 Footage in FCP
on Jul 15, 2010 at 4:28:00 pm

Hi,

I have my timeline set to the same settings as the EX-1 footage I have just imported (several hours worth). Do I really need to render it all? Is transcoding to an intermediate like prores necessary or can I not edit the EX-1 footage directly like DVCPROHD? So far the workflow for ex seems much worse than hpx... Didn't the ex-1 import already do some conversion process on the ex codec? Why wouldnt it go straight to an intermediate format?

Also, I rendered half of the footage overnight, and when I move the clip, the entire thing becomes unrendered again. Is this normal?

This footage was delivered to me straight from someone's sxs cards so I'm not familiar with the workflow...

Thanks so much,
Cooper

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Render EX-1 Footage in FCP
on Jul 15, 2010 at 5:26:01 pm

If you're doing things correctly in terms of ingest and sequence settings in FCP you shouldn't be rendering a thing. Shift Apple 3 your sequence settings and post a still here. Most likely you have mismatched the compression codec or the resolution.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Cooper Sloan
on Jul 15, 2010 at 5:44:20 pm

Thanks for the info Noah, you pointed me in the right direction.

I noticed the res was set to 1280x1080 while the EX delivers full frame 1920, not anamorphic. I could have sworn FCP set up this timeline automatically to the footage...

Problem seems to be solved.

BTW, what exactly is XDCAM footage? Why does an extra process happen between SxS and Log+Capture? It didn't seem long enough to be a transcode, but the files were not viewable without going through the XDCAM utility.

cheers,
Cooper

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 15, 2010 at 7:23:56 pm

XDCAM is a QuickTime-enabled video codec, much as DVCPROHD, ProRes, DV, etc.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 15, 2010 at 7:41:37 pm

XDCAM is MPEG2. XDCAM EX is in a BPAV folder in which the MPEG2 is in an .mp4 wrapper. XDCAM Transfer or Log & Transfer uses the metadata and .mp4 to create an .mov wrapper (there's no loss) so FCP can "understand" the file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]