FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony File Transfer Application: Problem Solved

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick McLoad
Sony File Transfer Application: Problem Solved
on Jul 13, 2010 at 4:33:47 am

I was getting ready to post on this forum on a problem I was having in downloading the File Transfer application for XDCAM EX. (I have a new PMW-350 camera and a new Power Mac). I must have tried 2 or 3 times to download this application from the Sony Pro software download site.

I decided to instead talk to a Sony tech guy. Turns out the difference between a successful download and installation of the software hinges on the browser you are using. If you use Mac's "Safari", you can download and try to install until the cow comes home and it won't work....although every phase of the operation seems to work perfectly.

Download and use "FireFox" however, and it worked the first time.

So word of advice...if downloading from Sony, better use FireFox.

Patrick

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Sony File Transfer Application: Problem Solved
on Jul 13, 2010 at 12:58:42 pm

It may depend on which Sony site. I know the Sony US site is very Safari UNFRIENDLY. Certain buttons needed to download aren't there at all. I have downloaded and installed Sony software with Safari though on many Sony sites.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jul 13, 2010 at 1:51:29 pm

Never been a big fan of Safari. I remember when it was released for Windows (!) it was pretty much the security equivalent of leaving your PC on the sidewalk...

Cf

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 13, 2010 at 9:01:03 pm

It's kinda weird though- why even offer Mac software if your website doesn't work with Safari. I mean c'mon Sony this is 101 web stuff... :) At least post an advisory if it's a known issue. I run Safari and Firefox side by side for this very reason.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 13, 2010 at 9:17:03 pm

Remember how long it took them to get XDCAM Transfer Snow Leopard compatible?

Maybe it's just "vengeance" as in, "we'll be Mac compatible when FCP can handle the .mp4 directly like Vegas, Premiere, Edius do."

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 13, 2010 at 10:15:42 pm

Or perhaps a begrudging acknowledgement that not every one uses their editor Vegas. :)

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jul 14, 2010 at 3:54:04 am

It's still weird to me when people describe Vegas as a Sony product :) I occasionally fire up my copy of Sonic Foundry's products (such as Sound Forge) when there's something I want to do that is best done therein...

Cf

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 14, 2010 at 4:18:16 am

Well FCP was once upon a time a Macromedia product but nobody thinks about that these days...

Noah

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jul 14, 2010 at 2:16:28 pm

I like to remind people of that every now and then :) I think I'm the only geek that cares that a lot of the companies out there have purchased their pro apps instead of designing them from the ground up. I have an original Photoshop 1 on Mac floppy as well as the old Aldus Freehand and Pagemaker. I never did have a copy of CoSA's After Effects though.

Cf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]