FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live streaming with EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Hall
Live streaming with EX1
on Jul 11, 2010 at 5:57:02 pm

Hi, I've been approached to film and stream a wedding next week but I'm new to live streaming.

I opened a Ustream producer account and now I'm trying to connect my EX1 to my laptop to run tests. Can anyone help with this process? Igot as far as setting i.link to HDV and videoformat toSP 1440/50i. I connected the i.link connector to firewire on my imac but the image in the ustream producer window appears very dark and with Unregistered HDV printed across the screen. Can anyone give me some further tips please?

Tindog

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Live streaming with EX1
on Jul 11, 2010 at 6:40:27 pm

I use my EX1 to stream regularly. It seems like you're also using Ustream Producer software. You'll notice that I'm also the "Cowhand" on the Telestream Wirecast forum. Ustream Producer was an OEM program developed by Telestream for Ustream.

In order to use HDV for Producer you'd need to purchase the HDV plugin. You may also need to purchase Producer Pro although I'm not absolutely sure of that ($199).

Another option, although more expensive, is to use an MXO2-LE (north of $1000 US depending on options) but this would require that your laptop be a Mac with an Express port. This would allow you to use SDI and either downconvert to Standard Def in camera or in the MXO2 (SD uses less computer system resources than HDV).

You could try using the free Adobe Flash Live Media Encoder (available Free on both Mac and Windows). I haven't tested to see if it's HDV compatible but it may be. That would be the least expensive method if it can handle HDV. You'd probably want to download the Ustream Flash XML file for import using that method.

Another way about this would be to use the EX1 analog out, downconverted to Standard Def. and use one of the analog to firewire boxes such as those by GVG/Canopus.

Return to posts index

Nick Hall
on Jul 11, 2010 at 8:24:15 pm

Thanks. What if I use my my Panasonic DVX100b which is SD only? Would that be simpler?

I don't understand why the EX1 in SD mode doesn't work with Ustream producer (not Pro). Can you throw any light on that?
Thanks again!

Tindog

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 11, 2010 at 10:49:59 pm

[Nick Hall] "Thanks. What if I use my my Panasonic DVX100b which is SD only? Would that be simpler? "
Yes, that would just be DV on firewire. Much less processor intensive. Generally, streaming HD frame sizes at high data rates limits the online audience so most people still stream SD. You can certainly stream 16x9 in SD though. 640x480 or 640x360 at 500-700kbps can look good.

[Nick Hall] "I don't understand why the EX1 in SD mode doesn't work with Ustream producer (not Pro). Can you throw any light on that? "

EX1 doesn't have an SD mode. It can downconvert though. Firewire doesn't downconvert. Only analog and SDI although I've only used SDI. EX1R can do DV.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jul 12, 2010 at 1:26:20 pm

The outputs on my EX1R are a little funky. There are only so many digital outputs. I do not know if it the same on the EX1 but you have to enable iLink through the menu function. Unfortunately this disables the rest of the digital outputs such as HDMI. Have you done this?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 12, 2010 at 5:02:47 pm

iLink on EX1 sends HDV video only. Does EX1R send DV? That would be the easiest solution. Otherwise analog or SDI out would need a "box" to input into computer.

Return to posts index

Nick Hall
on Jul 12, 2010 at 5:27:08 pm

Thanks guys. Would this box do the trick then?
http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc110
And if I converted the signal, does anyone know if Ustream producer (NOT pro) would be enough.
Thanks again

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 12, 2010 at 5:34:09 pm

I can't say firsthand but that's exactly the kind of box I'm talking about for analog to firewire DV conversion. Producer should see that as a camera source I believe.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jul 12, 2010 at 6:01:52 pm

The EX1R is selectable DV or HDV.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 12, 2010 at 6:04:07 pm

DV out of firewire would be a very simple solution.
Personally I'd never record DV but DV out of firewire is very useful for live streaming.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jul 12, 2010 at 6:14:54 pm

I did it using Microsoft Live Meeting just recently.

Return to posts index

Thom Mills
on Oct 20, 2014 at 4:22:54 am

I'm looking to get clarification specifically from Bob .. are you saying the EXR1 will record to the cards in HDV (or another HD format) while simultaneously down converting and sending a SD DV signal out the Firewire / i.link port? I too have a web streaming application using uStream and I know I can stream using HDV using their pro version, but would prefer to not have the computer doing the down converting for pay the extra $ for pro version .. If I can have the camera do the version for me but it is import to me that I record the footage on camera in HD.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Oct 20, 2014 at 8:48:02 pm

Thom, I am using a totally different system now. I take HDMI out of the EX1R to an HDMI/CAT 6 converter switch. I run the CAT 6 to a Vaddio A/V Bridge to a PC Laptop using USB. I broadcast through Microsoft Lync because it is company secure and easy for my end-users. It is not HD because Lync does not do HD but it is perfectly acceptable for my purposes. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 20, 2014 at 9:10:14 pm

I believe you can record HD and set SDI out to SD (center cut or letter box) which would probably be much better than using Firewire. Not sure if you're using Mac or Windows and what inputs are available to you but Blackmagic Ultrastudio MiniRecroder can go SDI to Thunderbolt. Magwell makes and SDI to USB3 "dongle" which may also work. It'll also work with USB2 but at a much lower resolution.

Return to posts index

Jamal AlSarraj
on Jul 9, 2011 at 6:22:17 pm

Hi Craig ,Hi All,

This is my first post.

I used to broadcast events with sony pd170 dvcam simply via firewire using windows media encoder. Now ,I purchased the sony EX1.

In short, can I connect the EX1 to my laptop(HP pavilion pv6t) through HDMI?or do I have to get capturing card with hdmi input?

If this works my next question is :If I use Ustream or wirecast - the virsion which support HDV - then what is the maximum quality I can record while streaming?

appreciated your support

Jamal

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 9, 2011 at 7:52:02 pm

Does your laptop have an Express port?
I'd ask about USB3 as well but there may be issues with that.

Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle only works with one or two current laptops with USB3 at the moment.

Matrox MXO2 can use HDMI and HD-SDI and connect via Express port and soon Thunderbolt but it is a Mac only solution. I use this on my 15" 2008 MacBookPro for example.

Otherwise there's very little on the market that can handle HDMI or HD-SDI into a laptop

You can use the EX1 in HDV mode and send that out firewire.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 10, 2011 at 8:38:00 am

Any camera with FW out (DV, DVCProHD, HDV,..) just need to be plugged to a Mac and is ready for streaming.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Terrance Levi
on Jun 29, 2012 at 10:07:02 pm

Hello, I was reading a discussion from 2010 and 2011 about streaming using Sony EX1. Its June of 2012 and I am in the same position, trying to get ustream producer to recognize my EX1. I have purchased the dazzle box, roxio game capture box, tried to connect and enable the firewire and still no dice. My HD TV picks up a component signal from the camera. I just can't understand the difficulty in this situation. I have heard by purchasing Ustream Producer Pro I may be able to get the EX 1 to be recognized. In 2012 is there any proof of this, has any new info arose on this topic? If someone knowledgable could shed some updated light on this situation. I would greatly appreciate it. I just wanna stream man! lol and col (crying out loud)

LEVI

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 29, 2012 at 10:21:59 pm

Ustream Producer, Producer Pro, Producer Studio?
I use Wirecast Pro which is the equivalent of Studio. Both are developed by Telestream.
I use Sony EX1 with Matrox MXO2-LE and it works fine.
It works in Wirecast standard as well which would be equivalent to Producer Pro.
EX1 should also work with Blackmagic Decklink and Intensity cards.

Return to posts index

Terrance Levi
on Jul 3, 2012 at 5:43:08 pm

Craig,Dear Sir,

Thanks a million! this has been a source of major frustration and much trial and trial and error. If this works for you I will do this exactly.

LEVI

Return to posts index

Terrance Levi
on Jul 3, 2012 at 5:47:54 pm

Craig,

Exactly what do you use going in to the Matrox and what coming out?

LEVI

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 3, 2012 at 6:23:15 pm

EX1 SDI out into MXO2-LE and that has been into MacPro PCIe, MBP Express port, MBP Thunderbolt. On the older Express port laptop I had the MXO2 downconvert.

Return to posts index

Terrance Levi
on Jul 6, 2012 at 10:27:57 pm

Thanks once again

Return to posts index

Patrik Kisucky
on May 6, 2014 at 6:27:15 pm

Hi Craig, Thank for the great info, you have provided here. We have 2014 now, and I'm setting up Sony EX1 with ustream, for webcasting / streaming services. I just ordered matrox monarch, and I own 2008 mac book pro. Not sure if I need a new mac book pro, or any other equipment, for me to be able to do this. Would you be so nice and share your knowledge and opinion on the best setup, or the one I'm using? Thank you!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 6, 2014 at 7:31:19 pm

[Patrik Kisucky] "I own 2008 mac book pro"

Does it have an Express Port?
You'd need a Matrox MXO2 with Express port adaptor to bring in the EX1.
Otherwise you'd have do use the camera in HDV mode over Firewire which is something I would not recommend.

Getting the video and audio out to the Matox Monarch will also have issues. You'd need to go from DVI to HDMI and then patch the audio separately.

[Patrik Kisucky] "Not sure if I need a new mac book pro, "

You would be much better off with a new 15" MBP Retina.

You'd go Camera SDI to Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder to Thunderbolt. There are other Blackmagic devices or MXO2 with Thunderbolt adapter which would also work. You could encode with the free Ustream Producer or take the MBPr HDMI out to the Monarch HD for streaming and recording.

Return to posts index

Patrik Kisucky
on May 6, 2014 at 7:51:34 pm

Thank you for the reply. The 08 MBP has the slot for SxS cards, which I used a lot. Is that the express port? I was going to do EX1SDI out, to Matrox MC - 100 mini SDI to HDMI, to Matrox Monarch. Are you using blackamgic recorder now? This is very new for me, I appreciate your help.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 6, 2014 at 8:22:49 pm

[Patrik Kisucky] "Is that the express port?"

Yes. The only video in that works with that is the Matrox MXO2.

[Patrik Kisucky] "I was going to do EX1SDI out, to Matrox MC - 100 mini SDI to HDMI, to Matrox Monarch"

If you want to skip the computer that might work once you've set up the Monarch.
The computer gives you some additional features which you may or may not need.

[Patrik Kisucky] "Are you using blackamgic recorder now?"

I use both Matrox and Blackmagic. I just did a two camera using 15" MBPr. One camera into Mini Recorder, the other into the MXO2. Each using Thunderbolt ports. I did my switching and encoding in the computer with Wirecast but I could send that to Monarch to avoid stressing the laptop CPU.

Return to posts index

Patrik Kisucky
on May 6, 2014 at 9:13:11 pm

Well, my Matrox kit should arrive tomorrow. I hope, I'll be able to make it work. Craig, as I mentioned, this is a new service I decided to add alongside my video production work. Any guideline on pricing? I know, it's very subjective, and has a lot variables, but say a simple 1 camera, 3 hour webcast for a company, for 100 employees (viewers) nationwide…what would be the average price, you'd say based on your experience?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 6, 2014 at 10:02:31 pm

If it's just single camera charge that as you would a single camera shoot.

You'd have to mark up and charge CDN cost (Ustream paid account cost) if that's what you're using.

I assume your client is providing reliable (tested) internet access. Never assume the client knows what you need so you should test or have someone knowledgeable test. There's nothing like finding out a hundred other people are using the same connection at the same time, killing your bandwidth.

Return to posts index

Patrik Kisucky
on May 6, 2014 at 11:04:01 pm

Great info, Thank you! There is really not a whole lot of info about this online, is there? Do you happen to know, of a good online source, to educate myself further?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 6, 2014 at 11:45:21 pm

Jan Ozer's streaming learning center has some good articles.

http://www.streaminglearningcenter.com/categories/streaming-production/live...

Return to posts index

Tom Riding
on Oct 21, 2014 at 11:50:25 am

You need HD output?

I have an EX1R and the easiest way is this.

Get an EZYCap or VCAP305 usb grabber , connnect that from the AV out socket on the EX1R, other end (once connecting the AV out cable to the grabber via connectors supplied) into the USB on your laptop and your laptop will recognise that and you can stream within seconds, i do it myself this way when i want to live stream on the fly via UStream or XSplit/Twitch etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]