FORUMS: list search recent posts

1st time with Sony EX - can't view files in Vegas

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Lewis
1st time with Sony EX - can't view files in Vegas
on Jul 10, 2010 at 5:03:34 am

Hi all,
1st time using Sony EX cameras and recording in HD. I'm testing the footage here on the computer using Vegas 7, but i'm getting error messages that the files in the BPAV folder are not readable. It seems like i'll need a conversion program before i can import to Vegas - is this correct? I'm in a pinch, and copying the entire BPAV folders off to the computer. Is this (conversion and access) something i'll be able to do later? I need to archive this data and write over the cards with new content tomorrow. Just worried about overwriting on the cards when i've yet to see anything on the screen...
thanks for any input.
matt

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: 1st time with Sony EX - can't view files in Vegas
on Jul 10, 2010 at 10:14:34 am

Are you at least able to view the footage in the camera? Presumably you know how to do this - switch over to 'media' and see thumbnails and play etc.

If the clips are all there you should be fine just as long as you transfer the whole BPAV folder without taking anything out at all. It is advised that we open a separate folder for each BPAV, label it whatever you like but start with the letters BPAV and put them on a drive as well as on your computer if you can for safety. Craig will say you must transfer these BPAV files using Sony Clip Browser with the checking device turned on but if you don't have Clip Browser (I don't use it) the files will drag and drop but, you will be told, without the checking you cannot be 100% certain that all the files have copied correctly.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Matt Lewis
on Jul 12, 2010 at 11:42:53 pm

Hi Mike,
Thanks so much for the quick response - it was exactly what i needed to proceed. I now have the proper folders copied to a HD, and in reviewing the folders with Sony's XDCAM ClipBrowser 2.6, i can see that the files are all there and containing the appropriate video information.
Now that i'm home, i'd like to convert this data and start working in my NLE, Vegas. However, ClipBrowser won't let me convert in full HD, 24p. Am i missing something with the conversion process? I filmed with a Sony camera, and i have Sony NLE. I'm not sure what simple in-between step i'm missing before editing my video.
Thanks again!!!
matt

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jul 13, 2010 at 6:01:03 pm

Matt, sorry can't help further since I edit on Media 100 and not Vegus as you do. I use Sony XDCAM Transfer which shows me all the clips and I view and select in/out points before importing. I'm automatically converting whatever is on the file to ProRes for editing in Media 100. Since Vegus is Sony I imagine you won't need to convert before importing.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]