FORUMS: list search recent posts

ingesting EX3 footage to FCP using XDCAM transfer

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
philip berman
ingesting EX3 footage to FCP using XDCAM transfer
on Jul 9, 2010 at 5:16:06 pm

I am new to the sony EX3DCAM and FCP, so please excuse my ignorance.

My friend and I shot some material recently on his EXDCAM 3 camera. Most of the material downloaded fine onto my FCP via the XDCAM transfer application I downloaded off the web.

However, he sent me some additional material by post today on an external hard drive, but I cannot seem to open it up in the transfer application.

Hi Andrew

Thanks very much for sending through the additional files. However, at the moment I cannot manage to import them into XDCAM transfer application. They will not appear in the XDCAM Transfer source window when I try to add them as the source material.

I did a controlled check and noticed that I could still re-import the original files I had already downloaded from the camera onto the XDCAM transfer application. And that did work.

Then I noticed that the new movie files I was trying to ingest appeared to be presented and packaged differently.

The original movie files I downloaded packaged in a BPAV folder and inside this folder was another called CLPR, then inside this folder were other files such as .BIM, .XML, .PPN, and the MP4.

None of these files, apart from a .mov file appear in the stuff I am trying to download.

Is it possible that there is something wrong or incomplete the files I was sent across? What do you think I should do?

Best wishes

Philip

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: ingesting EX3 footage to FCP using XDCAM transfer
on Jul 9, 2010 at 5:24:17 pm

You have to send the entire contents of the original SxS card in order for XDCAM transfer to function. Leave off any portion of those contents and it won't work. If you've received .MOV files perhaps he's already done the transcode from MP4 to QuickTime. In which case you'd just drop those files directly into FCP and start editing.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 9, 2010 at 5:42:07 pm

Removing anything from the BPAV folder (such as the .mp4) and trying to import or rewrap it would be tantamount to pulling the tape out of its cassette holder (DV, Beta, etc) and trying to feed it in.

In order to play the tape in the deck you must have the cassette. It's no different with BPAV.

BTW you should ALWAYS backup your BPAV as those are your camera masters.
Use ClipBrowser with CRC to copy.
Use XDCAM Transfer to rewrap to .mov for FCP.

Return to posts index

philip berman
on Jul 9, 2010 at 8:16:10 pm

Thanks for your comments and help I've now managed to work it out and just imported the .mov files straight into FCP, it turns out that my mate had already carried out the decoding for me hence why they had been converted already into .mov

Philip

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 9, 2010 at 8:46:18 pm

If they sent you the files already wrapped as .mov you'd be good to go from the get go of course.
Neither ClipBrowser nor XDCAM Transfer could read those but they wouldn't need to do anything with them anyway as the work was already done for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]