FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 with io HD

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dominick Pietrzak
EX1 with io HD
on Jul 9, 2010 at 5:08:19 am

Hi there! I was wondering what the advantages of using an io HD would be over just simply importing my footage directly from my EX1 via USB. I have a Mac Pro running Final Cut Studio 2. Thanks in advance :)

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: EX1 with io HD
on Jul 9, 2010 at 6:59:14 pm

By using the EX camera to play the clips out to SDI then capturing to a computer is basically a waist of time unless you need to re-encode the native EX files to match something else or for major compositing work.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Dominick Pietrzak
on Jul 9, 2010 at 7:04:34 pm

So there's really no quality difference? I'm looking to get the best quality picture from my EX1 into FCS, that's why I was interested in the io HD, but if the USB works fine then there's really no point for me to get that.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 9, 2010 at 7:27:00 pm

I believe ioHD outputs Apple ProRes 4:2:2 over firewire.
EX outputs 4:2:2 Uncompressed over HD-SDI
EX codec otherwise is 4:2:0

If you were doing heavy compositing, chroma keying, color correction it might help. On the other hand I've had no problem chroma keying EX 4:2:0 shot Progressive. Keep in mind you'd be tethered to a computer and hard drives.

You'd have to have a real need to do that though. ConvergentDesign's nanoFlash could give you 4:2:2 and be a bit more portable if you need 4:2:2.

Return to posts index

Adam Reuter
on Jul 17, 2010 at 4:55:31 am

Do not capture clips you've recorded to memory cards through HD-SDI. It may be neglibible quality loss but it'd be a waste of time/storage space. That plus the files are higher quality, again only slightly but at least storage space.

However, if you are recording a LIVE HD-SDI stream to the io HD then the benefits are 10-bit 4:2:2 and a higher bitrate with ProRes. For green screen work this would help out a lot. If I were shooting a big movie this is the route I'd go because the footage will probably be color corrected/graded heavily.

But for all else shooting to the memory cards and transferring via USB is fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]