FORUMS: list search recent posts

blacks not black

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John McRae
blacks not black
on Jul 9, 2010 at 1:02:14 am

Hi Guys
I have just started using a Sony pmw ex3 and have issues with the blacks looking very brown. I have black balanced and white balanced but no major change. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: blacks not black
on Jul 9, 2010 at 1:28:22 am

Post some stills. :)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on Jul 9, 2010 at 3:22:53 am

This was a surprise for me as well. Under tungsten lighting, certain artificial materials will look brown instead of black. It has to do with what was described to me by a Sony tech (if memory serves) as trouble with near infrared. The chips have a wide color gamut (a good thing) but the down side is the black issue. There are filters that can pretty much eliminate this. I use the B+W 486. Tiffen also makes one.

Rick

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Jul 9, 2010 at 4:01:05 am

We had the same issue once since we have had the EX-3 over the last year. It was very obvious in the coat of a person being interviewed. Below is a note from another list from Carey Duffy at Tiffen.

we found that a Far (visible) Red cut filter will be required to correct Far Red IR pollution on the EX1 & EX3, so temperature correction / white balance is relevant not only to light source but also to combat your Far Red IR filter's colour cast. To eliminate your light sources IR contamination, which shows up on manmade black fibres.

Carey Duffy
Technical Director (MPTV Filters)
Tiffen International Ltd

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro Two 2.8GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe
FCS 3 OS X 10.6 QT 10

Return to posts index

Adam Reuter
on Jul 17, 2010 at 4:57:51 am

The other posters have described the problem. I purchased a Tiffen T1 IR filter and haven't looked back. No more brownish/reddish blacks!

Here's a video I made showing its effects:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]