FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export XDCAM 1920x1080 to SD

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Chambers
Export XDCAM 1920x1080 to SD
on Jul 1, 2010 at 7:10:37 pm

Hi there,

I've got this client who--although I've shot this beautiful 16:9 video--wants it output to a 4:3 size for web. I ultimately have to make a *.FLV.

1) I've shot and edited everything in Final Cut, XDCAM, 1920x1080 full res.

How do I export from Final Cut to maintain the widescreen with black bars at the top and bottom? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jim McNally
Re: Export XDCAM 1920x1080 to SD
on Jul 1, 2010 at 7:25:05 pm

Make a new 720x480 sequence and drag the Hd sequence into it. Say no when it asks if you want to retain settings. Export the new SD sequence as self contained and send to program to make flv.

Jim McNally
The Commercial Factory
http://www.commercialfactory.com

Return to posts index

Peter Chambers
on Jul 1, 2010 at 7:50:05 pm

Thanks Jim, worked like a charm.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 1, 2010 at 7:33:36 pm

Export using sequence codec as is so you have your nice master.
Use Compressor and set it to 4:3 aspect ratio and padding to Padding to Maintain Source Aspect Ratio I believe but I haven't tried this with the Flix plugin for Compressor.

First there's generally no reason to add padding for web. Of course maybe they have some custom player setup they don't want to deviate from but I'd consider advising them that's a bad design decision. That padding eats up bits either making the file larger to maintain quality.

Unless they need FLV alpha channel or maybe cue points there's no reason to use FLV. H.264 .mov works just fine in Flash and has since 2007. Also H.264 is a much more efficient codec even if they want .F4V (NOT FLV) extension.

If they insist, without good technical reason on On2VP6 FLV and you don't have it, you're going to have to purchase either the plugin or another encoding app such as Episode or Squeeze and you should mark up your bill accordingly. There are very few reasons one needs FLV these days. In fact they will be put into a position to re-encode should they need HTML5 H.264 to reach iOS devices.

You could put your entire sequence in a 4x3 timeline (You could even use ProRes) and then export that with those sequence settings but that wouldn't be very useful as a future master. Best to export as is and let the encoding app add the pad (which is a bad decision in itself IMHO).

Padding equals lower quality encode.
FLV equals no future portability.
If they don't have restrictions forcing the above two decisions (and there can be as noted above) then they are making a bad decision. Personally I advise my problems on such matters as I feel that's what I'm paid for. I approach the issue pointing out the technical drawbacks before going into aesthetic issues.

Return to posts index

Peter Chambers
on Jul 1, 2010 at 7:50:24 pm

Thanks for the info Craig.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]