FORUMS: list search recent posts

How does one interpret the audio levels on the EX1R? Issues with low levels.

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jill O'Connor
How does one interpret the audio levels on the EX1R? Issues with low levels.
on Jun 24, 2010 at 10:02:44 am

I feel like I'm missing something....

So the audio meter on the EX1R on the display readout has no numbers...I have been searching for some time now, trying to figure out where -12db is, where -20db is and where 0 is....the manual definitely does not provide this information.

I am not a sound person, but unfortunately, I need to troubleshoot our sound system as soon as possible. We are using a Lectrosonics SR wireless system between the mixer and the camera. An old, but reliable PSC 4 channel mixer, and ME66 Sennheiser and MK416 mics, along with Sennheiser wireless Evolution g2 series for lavs. I am trying to figure out how to calibrate the 3 systems (the mixer, the wireless system, and the camera) so that I am getting proper levels.

When I bring the audio into Final Cut, the levels are low, even though I am around 9 for the settings on the EX1R. I have had some issues with distortion, so I am being careful....but there is no doubt in my mind that I am missing something here.

When I use the 1K internal tone on the camera--is that -20db? Can I assume that the 1k tone on the Lectrosonics system should also fall at -20db?

The mixer tone is at 0db--should that tone fall on the red bar in the audio meter on the EX1R? Its quite confusing when there is no number....

Where should the trim be set at on the EX1R for normal to quiet dialogue and occasional singing? Should the audio dials on the Ex1R be always around 5/6? I found on a forum that if they are pumped up to 9/10, then you will get distortion--is this true?

Should I be aware of other settings?

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: How does one interpret the audio levels on the EX1R? Issues with low levels.
on Jun 24, 2010 at 6:23:45 pm

[Jill O'Connor] "I feel like I'm missing something.... "

You are indeed. Push the "status" button beneath the top handle and then use the SEL/SET scroll wheel or joystick to cycle through the various screens. the audio screen is the second one in.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]