FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archiving media on SxS cards

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony McMehan
Archiving media on SxS cards
on Jun 24, 2010 at 1:03:18 am

Hello,

I am a newbie with the Sony EXR1 and to this forum.

I though it would be a simple task to archive SxS card contents to a dual layer DVD.
I have been doing so (or so I thought) for about a month now.
But I have been very busy and only this week have I been able to sit down and look at some of my footage in clip browser.
Problem is some of the DVD's will not show any footage in clip browser while others will. However, when I explore the DVD's that won't show up in clip browser, all of the folders are there and the MPEG 4 files are in the folders.

I am really sweating here...Is there a fix for this problem where I can get my clips into clip browser so I can convert them to MXF files for editing in Sony Vegas 8.1?

I am really sweating here so any help to fix this will be greatly appreciated!

Tony

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Archiving media on SxS cards
on Jun 24, 2010 at 3:00:11 am

[Tony McMehan] "I though it would be a simple task to archive SxS card contents to a dual layer DVD.
I have been doing so (or so I thought) for about a month now. "

You need to say how you were doing this?
The best way is to use ClipBrowser to split the BPAV using its feature that will split the folder to specific optical disk sizes (DVD, DVD-DL, Blu-ray). Then you have nice complete BPAV folders that will fit on your optical disc of choice.

Also you need good quality discs. I've used Verbatim DVD-DL bought at B&H. If you buy standard office supply store discs they may not be as reliable.

Return to posts index

Enrique Orozco
on Jun 25, 2010 at 1:17:45 pm

.. an update to Vegas 9pro lets you edit the native mp4 files (from the BPAV folders) without any transcoding to mxf.... my 2 cents

good luck

Enrique Orozco R.
http://www.dvideostudio.com >iDEA DigitalVideoStudio

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 25, 2010 at 7:53:17 pm

Just to add to Enrique's post, in addition to Vegas, Avid Media Composer 5 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 are also able to edit the EX .mp4 files natively.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jun 26, 2010 at 3:07:58 am

We have no clue what you mean by "archive SxS card contents to a dual layer DVD". You will need to explain in detail how you do this, else we are only shooting in the dark.

I regularly copy the contents of media from my EX1 (both SxS cards,and SDHC cards) by simply dragging and dropping the entire file structure to a hard drive.

No copy/backup/archive system should be considered "production-worthy" until you prove that you can reliably recover the data. I guess you learned that lesson the hard way.

Return to posts index

Tony McMehan
on Jun 26, 2010 at 11:39:18 am

Hey Richard,

What I had been doing is inserting the SxS cards into my laptop and burning the contents of the card over to a DVD using Record Now DVD burning software.

As I said before, this is all new territory to me and I haven't gotten down the proper workflow yet.

I am sure I will learn everything I need to know from all the people like you here on the forum.

My biggest concern right now is getting the data off the DVD's I have burned so far back to where I can once again view them in the clip browser and convert them into MXF files for use in Sony Vegas 8.1.

All of the files are there in the folders on the DVD's, it's just that clip browser does not let me open them up for viewing.

I have made about 6 DVD's that I can see in clip browser and the thing I have noticed is that the EX folders are colored Blue and the DVD's I can't view in clip browser contain folders that are yellow.

I am not sure what I did differently between the DVD's that can be viewed and the ones that can't.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jun 27, 2010 at 2:44:15 am

Not sure trying to read the data off the DVDs is a good idea. I would try copying the entire directory to a hard drive and try importing from there. I think you might be hitting a bandwidth issue reading right off the DVD.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jun 27, 2010 at 4:46:11 am

What happens if you copy all the files off the DVD and put them into a hard drive directory? I do this all the time and Clip Browser reads the just fine.

Seems easy enough to create a laboratory experiment to shoot < 4.5G of video on an SxS, then try reading it four ways:
1) Direct off the SxS card (to establish the viability of the original and to see what it is supposed to work like.
2) Copy the entire SxS file structure to a hard drive and see if you can still read the contents with the Clip Browser.
3) Copy the entire SxS file structure to a DATA DVD disk. Try reading it back with the Clip Browser.
4) Copy the file structure from the DVD data disk to the hard drive and see if Clip Browser reads it.

There is no fundamental reason why Clip Browser shouldn't be able to read any of these combinations.

Return to posts index

David Ice
on Jun 30, 2010 at 2:42:06 pm

I have been routinely backing up my EX files (both edited and raw footage) to blu ray discs. It works perfectly BUT you must use the XDCAM EX clip browser to make the file. In other words, if a project has a total of, say, 40gb of data, I would split it between two 25gb single layer BD-R. I would tell the EX browser to copy and make two folders. Each folder would hold about 20gb each of data.

By archiving things this way all the metadata is still there, and it's very easy to just pull things back off the blu ray disc if need be.

I find this perfect for archiving (in the EX format) a final show. It's easier than using tape or the expense of a separate hard drive. And it's easy to pull a clip off when the inevitable happens..."Can you give us that moment when...." two years later.

Return to posts index

marco fabbri
on Jul 27, 2010 at 9:24:50 pm

Its pretty easy just create a folder on you hard drive, select it in clip browser explorer window. Then import the .mp4 file from the dvd back into clip browser by right clicking and selecting import.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]