FORUMS: list search recent posts

Correcting Rolling Shutter

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Moore
Correcting Rolling Shutter
on Jun 23, 2010 at 5:55:23 pm

My EX1R shoots absolutely gorgeous images...

But when every buildings in the Downtown Dallas skyline look like the Leaning Tower of Pizza, these images are completely useless.

I can't believe Sony would release a product that performs anything like this...which leads me to believe that there MUST be a way to correct effected footage.

I have been such a huge advocate of the EX1/EX1R....but after looking through 6 months of documentary footage, i'm considering selling the camera and starting over.

Please HELP!!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Correcting Rolling Shutter
on Jun 23, 2010 at 6:15:03 pm

Are you doing fast pans? Rolling shutter only becomes visible when you're moving faster than the scan rate (and on full frame camera flashes).

[Brian Moore] "I can't believe Sony would release a product that performs anything like this."
It's CMOS not Sony. RED camera too as well as the Canon DSLRs being used all over the place for video these days. CMOS has advantages and disadvantages compared to CCD.

Compare the price of EX to CCD 1/2" chip cameras.
Compare the price of the EX350 2/3" chip cameras compared to CCD 2/3" chip cameras.
Compare the price of RED or even Canon DSLRs used for shooting video compared to cameras that shoot film.

This has nothing to do with Sony except that they've made the same decision that some other manufacturers have made that customers want large chips for Depth of Field control. CMOS also handles highlights better than CCD as well. Larger chips also means better low light sensitivity.

CMOS, CCD, Film each have their own characteristics.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 24, 2010 at 2:37:44 am

You may try to rise the shutter speed.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Bruce Rawlings
on Jun 24, 2010 at 11:33:41 am

25p/30p depending on country with 180 degree shutter does the trick. Another thread up here somewhere gives the opinion that the client does not see our concerns so don't worry. Sony EX1/3/350 cameras give fantastic pictures and at reasonable cost.

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Jun 24, 2010 at 8:17:55 pm

If you must pan fast...

http://www.newbluefx.com/video-essentials-iii.html

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.3 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite - FC7.0.2 - CS4 Prod Prem.

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Jun 25, 2010 at 7:05:29 pm

Maybe the bubble level on your tripod is broken. :-)

If you're getting rolling shutter distortion from rapid pans then you might want to consider using software to correct it.

With a CMOS imager there's no getting away from rolling shutter problems. That said, you'd have to be panning really fast to get a noticeable distortion. And at that speed the audience would be much more aware of the speed of the pan before they noticed the bending of vertical lines.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]