FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 render times

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Gonzales
EX3 render times
on Jun 21, 2010 at 5:51:37 am

My company owns the HPX 170 and we are toying with the idea of buying a Sony EX3. The one thing we like about the Panasonic codec (shooting DVCPRO HD in 720 or 1080 with any of it's preset frame rates) is its render times in AE, especially when doing a chroma key with the above settings. The render times really aren't too bad. Even when compressing the DVCPRO codec to a different format, say H2.64 at some of basic presets in FCP aren't too painful.

I was just curious, since the EX3 only shoots at 35mbs and shoots MPEG-2 , 4:2:0 Long GOP, how are the render times at 1080 or 720p at various frame rates with this codec? Say just going off the timeline to the same format or doing a key in AE to the same format or apple animation?

any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: EX3 render times
on Jun 21, 2010 at 7:26:56 am

The most complicated the compression scheme, the slower the rendering.
XDCAM is an acquisition format. Export to XDCAM only if that is your delivery format.
The best way is to edit the footage in a Prores sequence and export to this codec.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 21, 2010 at 1:03:34 pm

In Final Cut Pro you can edit XDCAM EX native but set renders to ProRes so there's no GOP confirm while doing FX work.

I'm not sure if AE has a similar function but if so, that's what I'd look for. If AE doesn't have a function like that it sure should.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jun 21, 2010 at 1:27:00 pm

I know FCP rocks the XDCAM EX codec for editing, but I've always kept my render presets set to ProRes. The render times are short. I'm on an 8-core Mac Pro, but we edit this stuff on a MacBook Pro (first Intel edition) on the road without issue.

I use AE all the time and have had no performance problems with XDCAM EX footage. That's for simple motion, color correction, stabilization, the works. It seems to be pretty efficient.

Cf

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Jun 21, 2010 at 2:47:01 pm

I use the XDCAM EX timeline for editing all the time now. I have tried using prores for rendering but can't see any difference in render times / quality etc, apart from generating larger render files. Keeping in the native format seems to work fine here.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 22, 2010 at 2:03:59 am

[Martin Phillips] "I use the XDCAM EX timeline for editing all the time now. I have tried using prores for rendering but can't see any difference in render times / quality et"
Hi Martin,
If you are getting the same render speed and quality when rendering XDCAM or Prores, then you have something wrong in your Prores workflow.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

bruno perosa
on Jun 27, 2010 at 5:02:59 pm

so what's the right workflow to work with prorez keeping files small and same speed?
thanks

EX3, Nikon Adaptimax with various lenses, Acuter Merlin mount, MBP17"2.93GHz, FCS2, Media100, BtcSP, DVcam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]