FORUMS: list search recent posts

Restore Media 'cant restore' message

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lachlan Fletcher
Restore Media 'cant restore' message
on Jun 21, 2010 at 4:30:47 am

Hi All,

Below is a post I made on an old thread. Just re posting as I am new to Cow and making sure it has been seen......

We've just had a restore media happen on one of our cards that has been used before with no problems but it wont restore the card. Gives the error 'Cannot Restore'. It was shot on an EX-1 in 720p at 25. It wasn't over-cranked. May have been a hasty finger on the record button though but not sure.

Does anyone know how I can restore this card. Ive tried copying it to a hard drive to put on a different card then try to restore but it wont copy completely.

Just one more thing for me to add... The best cards I have found out of all that ive tested (which is a lot) is the Sandisck Video HD 16GB. This card I have found to overcrank successfully at 48fps with only 1 issue after about maybe 2 hours of roll time ( not in succession though ). It is totally fine to do on anything you can re do.

I still haven't solved my issue regarding the restore media error message as described above.

Lachy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Restore Media 'cant restore' message
on Jun 21, 2010 at 1:00:05 pm

What card were you using that resulted in the error?
Some cards are more reliable than others as you imply.
What EX and firmware?
The new firmware is more reliable with SDHC than the previous versions.

What steps did you take to restore in camera and what message did you get?
Removing and putting the adaptor (which one) should allow you to execute but it isn't clear that you've done that.

If you can target the individual clip try copying that MP4 by hand and using ClipBrowser's Import clip function. If it's only the metadata that's damaged, it will build an new BPAV for the clip. If the clip is damaged you have a more serious problem but perhaps you can play the clip partially.

Return to posts index

Lachlan Fletcher
on Jun 21, 2010 at 11:57:11 pm

Hey Craig,

Here are some answers to your questions:

What card were you using that resulted in the error?
  • Sandisk Video HD 16GB (I have used the same card about 15 times)

• Some cards are more reliable than others as you imply.
    What EX and firmware?
  • I am currently on 1.11

• The new firmware is more reliable with SDHC than the previous versions.
  • Just about to install the 1.2 upgrade.

• What steps did you take to restore in camera and what message did you get?
    Removing and putting the adaptor (which one) should allow you to execute but it isn't clear that you've done that.
  • I tried using both the MxM it was shot on & also another MxM & MxR adapter. It would restore 15% before I got the error 'cannot restore'. I tried restoring in both Camera & Playback mode. I also tried copying the BPav folder to my mac via the SD slot but it would only copy 6 small clips. then give me an error.

• This is how my BPav folder looks. The 6 clips are showing but the 7th is showing Zero KB

• If you can target the individual clip try copying that MP4 by hand and using ClipBrowser's Import clip function. If it's only the metadata that's damaged, it will build an new BPAV for the clip. If the clip is damaged you have a more serious problem but perhaps you can play the clip partially.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
    on Jun 22, 2010 at 12:00:40 am

Just a thought, make sure the data lock is off on the card.

Good Luck
    Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
    on Jun 22, 2010 at 12:43:31 am

Thanks for the screenshots.
    I think the CUEUP.XML issue is actually due to the CLIPR issues since the data in the XML pointing to it is finding nothing for NP1_5385_01

It looks like there's no MP4 to rescue from that as it's not even a defined folder. You might have lost that clip.

Personally I wouldn't trust the Sandisk Video HD cards, at least not in firmware 1.11. I've heard other reports that they're slower than some Class 6 cards. They may be borderline. I am surprised though to see what looks like a failed clip record as opposed to just corrupt metadata. I have heard of that happening though.

It probably wont restore since there's a kind of "limbo" in which it sees "something" but not a viable clip to link metadata to.

Any chance you can try that card in a Windows system and see if you can copy that specific CLIPR over?

Return to posts index

Lachlan Fletcher
    on Jun 22, 2010 at 2:35:00 am

Yep can do. Ill give that a go. Interesting about the probs with these cards. Makes me quite un easy now. Up until now I had no issues & can even overcrank at 48fps which I haven't found with any other card.

think I might order a bunch of SxS-1s instead of taking any risk in the future. Ill just use these purely for stuff that doesn't matter at all and can be repeated!

Many thanks for all your help. Ill let you know how I go.

Lachy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]