FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem w/ PMW 350 Design

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick McLoad
Problem w/ PMW 350 Design
on Jun 19, 2010 at 3:06:55 pm

I am seriously considering the purchase of a Sony PMW350, my first foray into solid state HD cameras from BetaSP. I like the images, and more important the price. Will probably add a nano to it as well.

The problem I am having is that the big color viewfinder gets in the way of my ability to stick my hand through the space to operate the zoom rocker and the iris auto/manual switch. I see NO upward adjustment available. I have been shooting video for 30 years and have never had a problem with this, using the usual B&W slim-profile viewfinders. I have tried every kind of contortion possible, both over and under the viewfinder, and the reach is impossible. Either the supplied Fuji lens is too fat or the viewfinder too big, or both. I am a big guy, but my hands are not fat.

Am I missing something here? Has anyone encountered this problem? Is there a fix?

Many thanks in advance.

Patrick McLoad
Houston

PS: I was considering the Pana 500 and even the Varicam 2700 for awhile, but the 500 doesn't shoot 1080p and is 5-6 years old. I don't want to buy old technology and a camera that may soon meet planned obsolescence. The Varicam is nice, but a bit too much camera and too expensive for my level of corp/industrial clients....though the current trade-in offer is tempting!

I have a demo PMW350 with me now, but must return on Monday.

Return to posts index

Patrick McLoad
Re: Problem w/ PMW 350 Design
on Jun 19, 2010 at 3:59:55 pm

After studying the viewfinder holding post, I do see how a couple of 1" or 2" brackets could easily be made to raise the viewfinder up...but you know, I shouldn't have to :-(

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Jun 27, 2010 at 9:40:29 pm

i found that the viewfinder's cable has a fat filter right before the connector into the camera. this adds enough weight to the cable so that it drops down a little, causing annoyance at being able to do what you stated above with the stock lens. very annoying, frustrating and quite frankly perplexing. im sure the prototypes had this issue as well. a simple clip under the vf would be one solution, the other is to get rid of the fat filter.

nonetheless, i did get used to it to a degree. i put some strong double sided tape to hold the filter up to the vf. i now have a za lens, which has its controls further forward than the stock, making it easier to operate.

best wishes

Return to posts index

Patrick McLoad
on Jun 27, 2010 at 10:50:42 pm

David: I Called Sony Pro assistance, and the guy said that fat round thing is only a ferrite filter designed to eliminate interference, and it appears on a lot of stuff out of Japan. He said it is easily unclipped and discarded, leaving only the cable. But true, Sony should have designed a clip somewhere at the bottom of the viewfinder to hold the cable out of the way.

I decided to pass on this camera as well as the Pana 500, waiting for something that records 1080p.

Patrick

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Jun 28, 2010 at 4:21:08 am

Cheers for that info Patrick. I will investigate removing the filter, which I though was probably a waste. From my pov, I am very happy with the 350. As I mentioned earlier, my camera produces superb pics for me. I can unconditionally recommend this camera. Sorry I don't have any experience with Panasonic cameras.

Best wishes with whichever you choose.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 28, 2010 at 9:06:50 am

[Patrick McLoad] "I decided to pass on this camera as well as the Pana 500, waiting for something that records 1080p. "
What do you mean/
This camera records 1080p, 1080i and 720p.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]