FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting on a helicopter

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Fleckenstein
Shooting on a helicopter
on Jun 14, 2010 at 3:27:06 pm

Any tips for shooting EX1 or EX3 from a helicopter? We'll be on a Blackhawk, which I think should be relatively stable.

Thanks in advance,
Cf

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Shooting on a helicopter
on Jun 15, 2010 at 3:40:25 am

wear your seat belt... But seriously look into setting up at least a bungee rig of sorts out the window. And be sure to buckle up...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jun 16, 2010 at 7:40:04 am

Hang on to your ass. Make sure you're tied in. I almost took a long plunge once because a producer failed to hook my safety line.

Don't look through the viewfinder unless you have too. It could make you air sick. If you get queezy, look out at the horizon.

Put the stabilizer on and test it. Sometimes it's better off. The BlackHawk has 4 rotor blades so it's very stable. Two blade copters always shake.

Don't employ the shutter.

Be aware of the shadow from the rotors.

Have a fantastic time. There's nothing like it.

Ask the pilot to do a "dip".

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jun 16, 2010 at 2:59:39 pm

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the input. I was expecting to go out today but got bumped (generals take priority I guess) for a few days. I took the opportunity to climb around a Blackhawk this weekend and note places to hook a bungee rig to, then played around with a simple setup in the studio yesterday. That combined with the other advice will likely make this go very smoothly!

Cf

Return to posts index

Greg Pasztor
on Jun 21, 2010 at 2:08:22 am

Make sure there is nothing the slightest bit loose on the camera because Blackhawks pull some pretty serious g's. I had a lens hood sucked off my camera circling the remains of the "Giant" set in West Texas. Be sure to tell the pilot you're up for anything (they'll regard it as a challenge to get you sick).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]