FORUMS: list search recent posts

XD CAM transfer software does not support XDCAm 422 codec

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Morin
XD CAM transfer software does not support XDCAm 422 codec
on Jun 13, 2010 at 7:32:48 pm

I've got an FCP version 6.0.2, It's academic. I'm trying to figure out why my FCP keeps crashing when i try to export with a ProRes422 Codec. The camera footage is 1920x1080p XDCAM from an EX1R. After reading through the forums I think I haven't been prepping the clips improperly to export as 422. Now, is there a way to import the footage from the SxS as a 422 codec. and why does my startup window into the Transfer App say it does not support the XDCAM 422 codec. Is it due to the version of my FCP?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: XD CAM transfer software does not support XDCAm 422 codec
on Jun 13, 2010 at 8:23:47 pm

[Andy Morin] "is there a way to import the footage from the SxS as a 422 codec."

Not unless you have a capture card like a AJA Kona board. Otherwise just bring the clips in as XDCAM EX and transcode to XDCAM 422 if that's what you want to export with.

[Andy Morin] "and why does my startup window into the Transfer App say it does not support the XDCAM 422 codec. Is it due to the version of my FCP?"

If you have the option of exporting to XDCAM 422 within FCP then you have that codec. Why XDCAM Transfer says you don't is a mystery. You might try trashing the preference files for both FCP and the Transfer app and then trying your export again.

Your choice of export codec depends on what you're exporting to. Don't forget that you also have Pro Res at your disposal.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Andy Morin
on Jun 14, 2010 at 1:16:52 am

Hey Don thanks for the insight,
I guess what i was confused about was the difference between XDCAM 422 and Apple Pro Res 422. Thinking that maybe if i could import as a 422 it would work better with the FCP setting the export as 422 as well. I changed a few things with the preferences and everything seems to be working better. A side from the "Codec not found" message which i found during a render attempt. This was cured by changing the YUV bit rate to 8.

Thanks again,

Andy

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 14, 2010 at 6:17:20 am

If I'm not wrong, FC supports XDCAM 422 since FC 6.0.3.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Andy Morin
on Jun 14, 2010 at 11:42:01 am

Yeah that's correct Rafael, I have 6.0.2 which is academic. I don't think I can upgrade to a 6
0.3 version

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 14, 2010 at 1:51:00 pm

[Andy Morin] " don't think I can upgrade to a 6 0.3 version"
Why not?
Run Software Update.
rafael

Return to posts index

Mar Trevino
on Jun 14, 2010 at 4:44:51 pm

HI All,

I've been following this thread because I'm facing a similar issue. My online editor recommended that I transcode my Canon 7D footage and Sony EX-1 footage, both shot at 1920x1080p at 23.98 fps, to Apple ProRes 422 1920x1080p at 29.97 fps since I do have some vital footage with the Sony VR-Z1U that was shot 1080i at 29.97. Our final delivery will be 1920x1080p at 29.97 Because we have a limited budget and cannot afford to have the Sony VR Z1U footage shot at 29.97 transferred to 23.98.

Transcoding the H.264 footage from Canon 7D to Apple ProRes 422 has not been a problem. However, I'm stumped when it comes to EX-1 footage. I can't bring it directly from original Sony EX-1 footage from the BPAV folders into Compressor.

All this to ask, do I transcode the clips with that were created in FCP during the Log/Transfer from the BPAV folder?
Or is there some other process to transcode the EX-1 footage to Apple ProRes 422 that I need to under take?

The version of FCP that I'm currently using is 6.0.6.

Thanks greatly for your help.

M.Trevino, Editor

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 15, 2010 at 2:13:15 am

[Mar Trevino] " My online editor recommended that I transcode my Canon 7D footage and Sony EX-1 footage,"
Mark, with all my respects for your On Line Editor, this is one of THE MOST STUPID SUGGESTION i've ever heard.
To go from a very compressed GOP based format to another very compressed one and that takes ages for transcoding and rendering is a waist of time and resources (quality).
Go to Prores.
You can edit EX footage together with Prores in a Prores sequence. Works great.
rafael

Return to posts index

Andy Morin
on Jun 15, 2010 at 5:52:26 am

Hey Rafael,
I think bc i have the Academic version it doesn't allow of any type of update. My OS wont recognize any sort of software update and i don't see an option on the FCP software itself. Do you know where it would be?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 15, 2010 at 6:18:07 am

Software Update should work. It may offer a ProApps update and even a Quicktime update. In some cases a Quicktime updated is needed first. ProApps will include updates to various Pro Apps including FCP. FCP should go to version 6.0.6 in the 6 series.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 15, 2010 at 7:11:22 am

Yeah.
As Craig says, you won't find a "FC Update" but "Pro Apps Update".
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]