FORUMS: list search recent posts

SxS Card...long term

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Evelyn
SxS Card...long term
on Jun 11, 2010 at 8:47:18 pm

Hey, all

I have a lot of 16g and 8g SxS cards tied up with some footage I'd like to keep for years. Is the best archival method simply dumping the cards' contents to multiple drives? Do we know, yet, how long this method will keep material without appreciable degrading of the image?

Thanks, as always...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: SxS Card...long term
on Jun 11, 2010 at 8:58:37 pm

[Bill Evelyn] "Is the best archival method simply dumping the cards' contents to multiple drives?"

I'd never consider hard drives "best" for long term archival. LTO, XDCAM disc (used as data), Blu-ray data disc.

[Bill Evelyn] "Do we know, yet, how long this method will keep material without appreciable degrading of the image? "
Isn't going to degrade like analog. It's data. Of course data can become corrupted.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 11, 2010 at 9:46:52 pm

Wow you must be rich to have so many SxS cards. So buy an LTO drive...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

John Burkhart
on Jun 12, 2010 at 1:13:42 am

I believe that the perfect backup for SxS cards is SDHC cards. They're exactly the right capacity, and are solid state, and relatively inexpensive.

While I'm not aware of any reliable studies on how long SDHC cards will last stored, I do know it will be many times greater than a mechanical hard drive.

John Burkhart

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 12, 2010 at 1:59:43 am

SDHC are interesting and certainly an option- but nowhere near as reliable, robust and indexable as LTO. That's what the pro post houses have used for years...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]