FORUMS: list search recent posts

Data Recovery on SDHC

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kathleen lingo
Data Recovery on SDHC
on Jun 11, 2010 at 7:00:58 pm

Hello-

I was recording an interview on a Sony EX1 with a 32gb Transcend card and a Hoodman adaptor. When the interview ended (it was about 25 minutes long) I pressed stop. As soon as I did this, the camera gave me to error message to format the card. I said yes- and when I checked the card the last 10 minutes or so of the interview was not recorded.
It should have been that the whole interview was one .smi and instead it was a 13 minute MP4. The rest seems to be gone.

Is there any data recovery software that can diagnose this problem? Does it sound like the problem happened because of the camera or the card?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

kathleen lingo
Re: Data Recovery on SDHC
on Jun 11, 2010 at 7:29:15 pm

My mistake- the error message was RESTORE MEDIA. Not format media.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 11, 2010 at 8:06:10 pm

THe restore message is OK to go ahead with, DO NOT Format that card. I don't have a recovery solution but if you search here you may find one.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 11, 2010 at 8:20:13 pm

One should wait until the light over the card slot goes from red to green before hitting stop. Generally though, restore media fixes the resultant metadata damage but there have been cases where it can cause a clip to disappear. I suspect it depends what part of the metadata was damaged.

These people apparently specialize in XDCAM EX media repair.
http://www.aeroquartet.com/
XDCAM EX
http://www.aeroquartet.com/movierepair/xdcam.html

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 11, 2010 at 8:23:09 pm

More Human Error

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

kathleen lingo
on Jun 11, 2010 at 8:23:36 pm

Question: When one is recording isn't the light always red over the slot that is being recorded to??

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 11, 2010 at 10:03:51 pm

And when it stops recording it will turn green. With SDHC cards that takes a bit longer than SXS cards. It can be close to 10 seconds before it finishes writing. The latest firmware update has speed that up a bit and has made SDHC a bit less human error prone.

Basically after you hit stop you have to wait until it's done writing before hitting the record button again. If you hit the record button again while still red it will give you a media error and you will have to restore. The restore fixes the metadata but on rare occasions you can lose the last shot.

In other words if you hit record (to stop) and it's still red and hit record again you get the error.

Return to posts index

kathleen lingo
on Jun 13, 2010 at 3:08:37 pm

Another question I have that relates to this issue is about the restore function. I have always said "yes" to a restore prompt- are there any cases where I should not say yes?

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 13, 2010 at 3:51:59 pm

I think if you were to use the same camera right when it happens you'll be OK, I believe the buffer on board the camera needs to feed the card data that has either been interrupted or has become corrupt and the restore function re-writes this data. If you ever have a card that has this error multiple times in a row then you should replace that card to protect what material you do have on it. I can't think of a reason not to immediately restore a card.

When the Panasonic P2 workflow came out they always warned users never pull a card from the camera before it finishes writing to the card. Well that we have found was these alternative SDHC/Adapter solutions take longer to finish writing to the cards and no one takes the time to look at the side slot to see if it turned green. Cutting a take, seeing the Tally Light turn off is not the indication that the camera is in a completely safe mode using the SDHC cards.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2010 at 3:58:34 pm

Basically wait until the light turns green above the card slot on the camera before doing anything like hitting record again or pulling the card out, and you should be safe.

If the card throws the restore message for any other reason (no apparent reason), as Mike says, that card shouldn't be used. The new firmware I believe increases the buffer size which is why many of the lower quality cards now work reliably and the higher quality cards can now overcrank reliably. The total record times on the card are shorter as well so I suspect Sony improved the situation by using some space on the card itself as buffer much like virtual memory works on a computer.

Return to posts index

Olanrewaju Olakunle
on Jul 12, 2010 at 8:04:06 pm

kathleen

were you recording on a class 6 or class 10 card. I had a problem recently when I mistakenly format a 32gb deklin SD card before coping the content of the card. since I just ordered more SD card for my ex1r I want to know if you having problem with SD card on ex1r I will not want lose any data again. i have been talking with the guys at aeroquater to see if they help recover the wedding video files, you may consider talking to them also.

Spirit

Return to posts index

Mark Santa-Maria
on Oct 14, 2010 at 2:22:43 pm

I too had a critical crash shooting a tv pilot and it was underwater nonetheless. Totally not reshootable.

I worked for weeks and weeks at the solution. Digging up my old roots and former bitnibbler days and floppy disk copy protection work-a-round techniques, I think I've developed what I think is a relatively reliable way of getting back almost all files. I've even been able to rebuild the bpav folder on a few occasion so everything read just fine in clip browser and the camera. But at the least I got the mp4s back. Usually, the clip being shot during the crash was only partially recovered.

I need more samples to try out my techniques on. If you have a corrupt sd card shot on an ex1 or ex3, and have exhausted all other software options or cant afford the clean room services, please contact me. I'm not charging YET. I want to prove my techniques will work consistently. If I can help you get your files back, I may ask for recommendations and a review later.

Whatever you do, dont write on the card again. Throw on the write protect tab. My technique does not write to the card, I just read from it. I end up using another card to test my recoveries with. I'm looking for cards that cant be read at all. Usually this happens when you get media error but not the option in the menu to restore it. Aeroquater, helps repair corrupt video files. I'm trying to recover lost content for folks.

I'm serious...I need some more corrupt cards for testing and free recovery for you.

Mark

In the event of my untimely demise, it was all my fault. That said, "who the hell took my mouse?"

Return to posts index

Chuck Braverman
on Oct 17, 2010 at 5:17:04 pm

Mark:
What is the best way to contact you directly to help recover an sdhc card?

Return to posts index

Mark Santa-Maria
on Oct 18, 2010 at 12:21:54 am

Send me a pm or reach me at (ignore blah blah) at "blahblahmark@decopixel.com"

In the event of my untimely demise, it was all my fault. That said, "who the hell took my mouse?"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]