FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Sennheiser Wireless Freqs?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Smith
OT: Sennheiser Wireless Freqs?
on Jun 9, 2010 at 9:30:05 pm

While this is a bit Off-Topic, thought I'd chance a question.
Since my old wireless mics are now "illegal" in the 700mhz band, I need to buy new wireless systems for ENG work.

Looking at the Sennheiser EW-100 G3 package.... looks good but there are three (3) different frequency ranges offered separately. Not being too savvy in this, thought I'd ask for advice on which would be better to select. I travel a lot but do tend to work a lot in SoCal, Texas, Louisiana, Fla, Midwest... any thoughts?

I would've posted this in a better forum on CC but couldn't really find one best suited for wireless queries.

Thanks,

Chaz

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Re: OT: Sennheiser Wireless Freqs?
on Jun 9, 2010 at 9:54:30 pm

You might try googling Sennheiser Frequency Finder or try this link:

http://12.148.18.149

Return to posts index

Charles Smith
on Jun 9, 2010 at 10:15:04 pm

Thanks for the link!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 9, 2010 at 11:35:29 pm

I feel your pain. I've looked at the chart a long time back and the ONLY clear space is in the 700MHz range in my area!

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Jun 10, 2010 at 12:10:21 am

I shoot at different cities each weekend with my racing TV show and each time I have to change frequencies just to find a clean spot. I also had the 700 system and as of June 10, 2010 it will be illegal. In other words you could be fined for being on this band. I really can't see how a low powered wireless microphone could cause a problem for others even during an emergency. Just more wisdom by the government.....

Ronnie
http://www.ramtv.tv

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
http://www.dirtracingvideo.com

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jun 10, 2010 at 1:13:15 pm

That Sennheiser tool's pretty awesome. I went through the FCC database manually. Yuck.

Cf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 10, 2010 at 1:19:34 pm

Sennheiser rebate ends June 30th
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/specialRebates/700MHzRebate.pdf
You get a whole $80 rebate for 100G3 series. After the cost of shipping back your old wireless it's not much.

I apologize in advance for linking to another publication but EventDV has a decent basic article on what's going on.

http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=67492

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jun 10, 2010 at 5:30:31 pm

Nice find. I bookmarked that one right away.

By the way, it sounds like "what's happening" goes something like this:

Step 1: tell the broadcasters they WILL be going digital;
Step 2: force broadcasters into a narrow range of frequencies;
Step 3: force wireless users into that same range;
Step 4: come back around after the DTV transition and demand more bandwidth from broadcasters.

I'm glad I'm not in television anymore, and live in a rural state.

Cf

Return to posts index

bruno perosa
on Jun 11, 2010 at 12:32:02 am

what about the European situation?
I've wrote directly to Sennheiser main office about 6 months ago and never received a reply nor by the local distributor to whom I also wrote, seems nobody knows what's is going on in Europe....

EX3, Nikon Adaptimax with various lenses, Acuter Merlin mount, MBP17"2.93GHz, FCS2, Media100, BtcSP, DVcam

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 13, 2010 at 9:08:12 pm

I attended a Sennheiser session with a guy here in Europe last year (can't remember where) and they are on the case. There are big problems to overcome but the guy told us that there is no great urgency for a couple of years yet. Maybe it's more urgent elsewhere.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2010 at 9:22:39 pm

In USA the 700MHz band is now illegal for wireless mic use but a knowledgeable audio person said the FCC is far more likely to be looking at press conferences for example than lone shooters as far as hunting for violations. Obviously as the spectrum fills interference will become more likely. In some locations though, the 700MHz band is still far less interference prone than other bands.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jun 14, 2010 at 6:20:59 pm

I don't think the FCC has the money or the manpower to even enforce this. A few TV old-timers and I were chatting over burgers this weekend and reminiscing about twenty years ago when the thought of a visit from the FCC was a very real, scary thing :) Of course, we live in a very rural state...but I still don't think your average guy is going to have even the slightest worry unless someone complains, if then.

Cf

(all of our mics are legal.)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 14, 2010 at 6:37:06 pm

The issue of enforcement will likely only come in to play if someone can be "tagged" as interfering. For example, daily use of a wireless mic from a stationary location having impact on a local signal. Alternately I was told they might be monitoring major press conferences. A wireless mic has to be a lot harder to track than a pirate radio station. Someone isn't going to found at random. A press conference would be an easy "checkpoint" though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]