FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX or Canon XF?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Smith
Sony EX or Canon XF?
on Jun 2, 2010 at 4:59:35 pm

I'm considering either a Sony EX or the newer Canon XF... I have a Canon XH-A1 and while it does a pretty good job, it never really blew me away performance-wise. And I was never really happy with the control layout and some audio menu access only settings. That being said, I've been reading where Canon has these 2 new XF series, the 300 & 305. The recording spec @ 50mbs is impressive but the imaging sensor still @ 1/3" gives me pause. Especially considering the EX at 1/2" sensors.

Anyone here with thoughts about this? I haven't seen a Canon XF in person yet and the operator controls are really important to me.
The Sony's controls always seem to be laid out better. And performance ... any thoughts?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Sony EX or Canon XF?
on Jun 3, 2010 at 7:37:21 am

I sold all of my Canon stuff years ago and never looked back.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 3, 2010 at 9:49:42 am

I think that the big manufactures, once they have designed a great product at a good price, they think "OK. Now lets screw something; we can not give all that for such low price".
Its happens with the SONY EX, recording only at 35Mbps and its happens with the new PANA (10b recording) and those Canon mounting 1/3" CMOS.
50 Mbps 422 is better than 35 Mbps 420, but when you see what you get at 80 or 100 Mbps, you realize that 50Mbps is really poor.
IMO the best option still being an EX with a nano-flash.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Adam Reuter
on Jun 4, 2010 at 12:23:09 am

I have owned an EX1 for close to two years now. There hasn't been a situation it couldn't handle. The HQ format passes Discovery Channel standards (a big reason I bought it) and it has HD-SDI out to a Nanoflash if a higher data rate is needed for a broadcaster.

The audio in the camera is great. The resolution is tack sharp. The LCD screen resolution is enough for critical focusing. Lowlight performance is best in class. The only flaws for me are ergonomics (correctable with a shoulder mount), viewfinder resolution (Hoodman EX Loupe solves this) and the Jell-O effect if you pan too fast.

The EX1 has plenty of user reviews, which I find to be the most honest. The Canon may have magazine writer reviews but those tend to be biased. I'm not saying the Canon is a lesser camera--it may in fact be better-- but for a newer camera you're taking a risk.

If I were you I would hold out and wait for the "guinea pigs" to report back on their honest findings.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 4, 2010 at 9:47:09 pm

Adam, is the Hoodman you refer to the one with the glass magnifier in it? I have one in an effort to replicate the EX 3 hood over the screen but with a shoulder mount I can't get my eye close enough to the Hoodman. Do you have any problems in this respect?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jun 4, 2010 at 6:21:11 am

[Rafael Amador] "IMO the best option still being an EX with a nano-flash."

yep

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

Bruce Quayle
on Jun 5, 2010 at 8:56:25 am

I tried out the Canon at NAB...then went out and bought the EX1r.
I found it too heavy and it lacked many features the EX1r offers. I'm very happy with my choice.
Cheers,

Bruce

Return to posts index

Charles Smith
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:28:27 am

Thanks to all for the replies... it helps a lot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]