FORUMS: list search recent posts

Windows machine won't open my clips

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Babbitt
Windows machine won't open my clips
on May 31, 2010 at 5:12:14 am

I shot a 4-hour event for a friend of mine. We are both EX-1 users, but he edits in Vegas on a Windows machine and I'm on a Mac. I saved the BPAV folders (yes, they were inside of other separate folders) and sent them to him on Blu-ray data discs. Before I sent the discs, I verified that the clips were OK by importing them into my Clip Browser directly from the Blu-ray discs that I sent my friend. Well, he is able to import everything into his Vegas program except for the 3 longest clips. They are the only clips that are over 2 gigs, which, being that it's a Windows machine, sounds like the culprit might be the file size. Like I said, I confirmed that the files are fine. Is there some kind of compatibility issue when transferring BPAV folders between platforms? I used Toast to burn Mac / PC Hybrid discs.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Windows machine won't open my clips
on May 31, 2010 at 5:57:56 am

[Chris Babbitt] " Is there some kind of compatibility issue when transferring BPAV folders between platforms?"

There shouldn't be. As you already know, the disc formatting that can be read by both Mac and Windows is FAT32 but the file size limit is 4 Gbytes, well beyond your largest clip size of 2 Gbytes. I'm not sure what Toast uses when it formats a hybrid data Blu-ray. From what I can tell it looks like you did everything right. Are those 3 clips your client can't open originally spanned clips between cards? Do any of those big completed clips span more than one Blu-ray disc?

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on May 31, 2010 at 6:05:35 am

You're up late on a Sunday, Don. One of the clips is spanned. I also sent him the spanned clip on a single DVD. He couldn't open that either. It opened fine on my Mac. He looked in the BPAV folders, and it looks like his machine is not recognizing the MP4s. I don't think they are showing up at all. Does the file size limitation affect reading as well as saving files?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 31, 2010 at 6:27:47 am

[Chris Babbitt] "You're up late on a Sunday, Don."

I'm always up late, plus we're in the same time zone.

[Chris Babbitt] "Does the file size limitation affect reading as well as saving files? "

I'm not sure but if I had to guess, i'd say no. When I'm up against the same situation as yourself I just send the client a Windows formatted NTFS USB hard drive with the BPAV folders on it. I include the price of the drive in the quote. I don't have any experience in sending hybrid data Blu-ray discs out to clients. I'm thinking that even if you had used my method your friend would still be having issues. I think there's something going on at his end that you don't have control over and I don't think you could have done anything differently.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on May 31, 2010 at 3:25:03 pm

Don,

Can a mac write to an NTFS formatted drive?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 31, 2010 at 3:41:40 pm

There are several programs that can do this.
One example:
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 31, 2010 at 5:42:44 pm

Chris, as Craig has pointed out, your Mac can read from and write to an NTFS formatted hard drive if you have the software to do it. The program that Craig mentioned is the one I use and it works flawlessly. The program does not, however, format a hard drive in NTFS, so you'll need a Windows machine to do that one time.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on May 31, 2010 at 5:51:30 pm

Thanks. That will be helpful. I have since learned that the problem may be with the way that Toast burns Mac/Pc Hybrid data discs. The PC side of that equation is ISO 9660. It was suggested to me that there might be a file size limitation using that format. He suggested that I burn a DVD-Rom instead. I'm going to try that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]