FORUMS: list search recent posts

Way not to record separate clips in SxS Cards

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gino Amadori
Way not to record separate clips in SxS Cards
on May 28, 2010 at 10:35:12 pm

Hi all, I usually edit documentaries and ingest several hours of footage from tapesinto clips based on sequences, EX: GVS Court Room or Setup Shots Judge, etc. In the case of XDCAM EX I think I will have a problem because each time you press the record button it creates a new clip, so imagine if I have 53 hours of footage filmed on an XDCAM EX, I would end up with thousands of individual clips which at the time of editing will be pretty chaotic.

My question is if there is a way to record or ingest the same way i do my log and capture or in other words, is there a way to prevent creating a new clip from being created every time I hit record? Or is there a way to ingest merge several clips into a single one during ingestion or in the camera?

I would be very thankful if someone could please let me know if this is possible or not, and if not, I would like to know if there might be an alternative workflow that better suits mine.

I use Final CUt Pro 7

Thanks for your time

Kind Regards

Gino Amadori

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Way not to record separate clips in SxS Cards
on May 29, 2010 at 12:54:19 am

Hi Gino,
All the file based formats does the same: Clips.
Put all the clips that you want together and make a reference movie.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on May 29, 2010 at 2:57:22 am

I shoot with an EX-3 also and I edit with GrassValley/Edius 5.5. All I have to do is open the Sony clip broswer from within Edius and high light the first ans last clip and they import in to the bin and with one more mouse click they are all on the timeline in perfect order.

Ronnie
http://www.ramtv.tv

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
http://www.dirtracingvideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on May 29, 2010 at 3:47:24 pm

Yes, it does take a little getting used to but I ingest into Media 100 much as with tape by using the Sony EX Transfer which gives thumbnails of each clip. I open various bins for all the categories of my documentary and just import each clip into the correct bin.

So Gino, can't you do the same? Name your bins and make sure all the court stuff goes in a 'court' bin when you come to a court clip?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Gino Amadori
on Jun 2, 2010 at 5:54:27 pm

Thanks Rafael, the thing is that I don't think i will be able to do this because after I'm done editing, Discovery Channel asks for EDLs and also asks the footage be given to them in the same format as on the card, so this means i have to edit of the clips created by the cam. For any other situation it would be a good workflow

Cheers

Return to posts index

Ben Connors
on May 30, 2010 at 1:38:59 am

Hey there,

I've been in this position before. I'm an editor not a shooter and I'm used to the shoulder cam xd cameras not the EXs. If the footage has already been shot... your really going to be in a tough position. My best suggestion would be to drop all clips from each disk into their own sequences, and name the sequences disk1, disk2 etc... I had to do this in Haiti, and it's a major pain in the butt... however it's easier than dealing with a bajillion clips.

Now I don't know where in the menu it is because I'm more an editor than a shooter... but there are modes you can select. I always ask my cameramen to shoot in 'multi-clip' mode. This creates a new clip every time the camera is turned on and off instead of on each record. I think you can even arrange it to give you FCP markers on each record press.

Sorry I don't know the menus, but search around for multi-clip... there is an answer.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 30, 2010 at 4:04:27 am

[Ben Connors] " I always ask my cameramen to shoot in 'multi-clip' mode. This creates a new clip every time the camera is turned on and off instead of on each record."

There is no such mode on the PMW EX1, EX1R or the EX3, although it would be a handy feature to have.
I'm not sure about the PMW-320 or the 350. Looks like it's probably an XDCAM HD feature only.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Gino Amadori
on Jun 2, 2010 at 6:02:37 pm

Thanks to all your advice guys, and sorry for the late respose, for some reason I am not getting mail notifications when I get answers to my questions.

I think it will take some time getting used to it and maybe the cameraman can help by not pressing the record button as often as he might, like through entire sequences in which each take has just a few seconds in between

Cheers

Gino

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 2, 2010 at 7:20:26 pm

There are some interesting workflows you can try.

With 32GB cards you can get nearly 2 hours per card and they will span. Just don't stop recording. My longest single clip has been over 5 hours which spanned across 3 cards.

Logging could be a nightmare but if you use time of day time code and the camera man has an assistant, they can just write down the clock time of key takes.

Also you can add shot marks while recording or even after recording although obviously that means going through everything.

I guess what you're used to doing is having the camera do an internal assemble edit as tape based cameras do. EX doesn't do that. My hunch there's not a big demand for it. If I have to start and stop frequently I like that all my shots are already separated.

Return to posts index

William Campbell
on Jun 2, 2010 at 11:29:32 pm

As a shooter and editor they way I deal with it is much the same way that I batched tape. Especially HDV that tended to break into clips anyway. Each 32gb card is given a sequential slug name in the field just like a tape. Say RW01 for Rwanda01.
When I import the files into FCP from my HD I create a new project just for the import. Say Rwanda Import. Each card imports into a Bin. RW01 to Bin RW01. Then before I import the next card I go into the Capture Scratch folder, make a new folder RW01 and put all the clips I just imported into RW01. That way if I need all the FCP QT clips for that card later I can just copy that folder.
When I log the clips I leave the file name the same as they were capture in camera and use Log Notes for a description. If you are in FCP change your media info to just show clip, reel, in, and log note. When you are done logging all your imported clips Export a Batch List and then open it in Word for a Card/Tape list of all your Cards with clips,and description of each clip. It will match your native files and your FCP import files as well.

Your original Import Project will have all the info you need for deliverables for the client.

When you start your edit start with the project for the card import. ie: Rwanda Import. Rename the project to Rwanda_01 (or however you name your projects.)Make a new BIN called Card Master and put all your card bins into Card Master. Then make all the subject bins you want. Open up the Card Master Bins cut and past away. You can go crazy here building bins for sequences.

And when shooting, as another poster mention, with the EX do more let rolls. Less on and off.

Return to posts index

William Campbell
on Jun 3, 2010 at 12:28:12 am

I forgot mention that when I import clips into a card Bin you can add description such as RW01- Road scenes, hospital ext. You'll end up with a batch list than can print that looks like this:

* RW09A- Women's ward, swing, records, Rural clinic, Pascal night
RW09A-1 07:11:44;12 Women's ward, director walking
RW09A-2 07:21:24;10 kids on swing
RW09A-3 07:22:58;00 electronic records
RW09A-4 07:25:20;03 followup clinic at hospital
RW09A-5 07:27:50;01 Rural clinic waiting room, exam, EXT
RW09A-6 07:48:44;09 waiting room, exam EXT, new building EXT

The Batch list put the * at the begging of every in.

This was from HDV but EX clips work the same. Clip names are just a little longer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]