FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adapter SD Card Media problems ...again..a painful lesson in production

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Dunn
Adapter SD Card Media problems ...again..a painful lesson in production
on May 25, 2010 at 2:17:20 pm

I thought I'd share this with everyone. First, I haven't had a chance to update my firmware in the EX-1 because I'm booked solid through the end of the month, but it'll be going to Sony next month for the update.

I'm using the SD card adapter with Transcend class 6 cards. On a recent shoot (with 3 cams) I was in the final minute shooting a sunset scene on the beach (no oil yet) and the battery went dead. The next day I loaded the card and it needed the media restored since the camera wasn't shut down properly. I restored the media and it wiped out EVERYTHING on the card. This is the 2nd time Restore Media has actually deleted my clips.

I'm using two different recovery software programs. I was only able to recover snippits of the clips. Some clips may have been 30 second to 2 minutes and I have maybe 5 seconds with no audio.

In other shoot, I bought the latest SandDisc class 10 card that has been recommended and I received restore media within the first 3 minutes of shooting. I returned the card.

So, after getting a spanking twice, I've finally shelled out the $800 for the 32 Gig SxS card and my camera will get updated next month. I'll still use the adapter after the update for the B-roll shots and other non-critical shoots.

Just thought I'd vent and share another painful lesson in the production blog. ...maybe I should have stayed with tape.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: Adapter SD Card Media problems ...again..a painful lesson in production
on May 25, 2010 at 3:24:18 pm

I hear ya. I got a couple of MxR readers and some Class 6 cards to play with, but ultimately it's too much of a gamble. I guess over the years I've just come to fear the word "adapter" the same way I get a nervous twitch when someone says "barrel."

When we got our EX1 and EX3, 16GB cards were $1100 or so. Now we just bought some 32GB cards for $800. We have a bunch of 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB cards in service that have traveled the USA and Canada for up to a year and a half without a single issue. They're worth the money not "saved" trying to go with SD cards as far as I'm concerned. The nature of what we shoot doesn't allow for second chances, so why risk losing it for a few hundred dollars?

I've seen guys on the forums mildly chide new users for not wanting to spend the money on a full-fledged edit program or upgrade in order to take advantage of XDCAM EX footage, but nobody's saying the same thing about people willing to roll the dice on SD cards. If a good tripod and good software are part of the cost of doing business with an $8,000 camera, why isn't robust media?

Cf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 25, 2010 at 3:44:02 pm

Dec 2007 to May 2010 using SDHC and I've never lost a clip. There's no dice role here. You follow proper procedures and buy media that's been tested and then run your own tests and it works.

Return to posts index

Ilya Spektor
on May 25, 2010 at 6:13:55 pm

Hi, Brent,

You did not mention, what adapter you were using, also, recent Transcend class 6 cards were reported as having inconsistent quality... The latest MxM / Hoodman lockable and e-LCR lockable (from E-Films) adapters combined with high quality cards, like ATP Promax or Sandisc class 10, have great reliability and are mostly recommended.

The most important thing is to upgrade to the latest firmware version, and, I am sure, you will forget about any kind of media errors...

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on May 25, 2010 at 7:22:29 pm

I have heard of some terrible stories about firm ware updates. My EX-3 needs updating how would you recommed updating it? Send back to Sony or try it myself....I just can't part with it right now.... busy for a change...

Thanks

Ronnie Martin
http://www.ramtv.tv

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
http://www.dirtracingvideo.com

Return to posts index

Ilya Spektor
on May 25, 2010 at 7:51:31 pm

After long hesitations I 'bit a bullet' and did it myself... Just read and follow the instructions carefully. It is recommended to power the camera from AC and have battery attached also. I did it with a desktop PC. Others recommend using a laptop both with a battery, and AC adapter. Just don't rush!..

Good Luck!

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 26, 2010 at 3:53:45 am

Ronnie:

I would definetly send it to Sony. I think it'll be around $130 for the update. I'm also slammed this month....maybe the economy is finally turing for the better. yes, if you update it yourself and don't follow exactly what is recommended, it might "brick" your camera. If sony screw's it up, they will back it up with a fix. If you screw it up, it might cost you well over $1,000 in repairs.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1, V1U
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
w/ Adobe CS-4 Production Suite, After Effects
& CS-5 Production Suite. Window's 7

Manfrotto Tripod's & Heads

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 26, 2010 at 3:50:12 am

I used the Hoodman MxR adaptor. I also purchased the new recommeded Class 10 Sand disc SD card. I only used it for one hour and had 3 restor media messages. I returned the card.

I'm thinking maybe my camera might not like these cards. As mentioned I am planning on sending the camera to sony next month for the updates, which should fix most of the problems...I hope.

Brent Dunn
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1, V1U
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 26, 2010 at 4:03:30 am

Hey Craig:

Yea, I understand your success with the media cards. I'm using what was recommended, but unfortunately I didn't have the same luck as you. I just think cameras as well as cards manufactured at different times have slightly different operating variance.

I'm sure getting the update done will help, but after loosing the footage on 2 cards after a media restore has shaken my confidence. I'm going into a shoot praying I don't loose footage. Not a good way to do business.

Luckily I will be able to re-shoot the last card and I have a very understanding client. But, it's embarrassing to tell a client your media card failed and we need to re-shoot something. It will only turn out better, since I have other ideas for a better shoot anyway.

Brent Dunn
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1, V1U
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 25, 2010 at 8:49:43 pm

[Clint Fleckenstein] "We have a bunch of 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB cards in service that have traveled the USA and Canada for up to a year and a half without a single issue."

You've been to Canada within the last 16 months and you haven't called me? No cards. No letters. I'm sorta crushed. I would have cooked dinner and stuff.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on May 25, 2010 at 9:29:08 pm

Wasn't me. It was one of our guys :) I live two hours from the border and have never been more than a hundred feet (30.5m) into Canada! Someday...

Cf

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on May 26, 2010 at 3:21:34 pm

It is no secret these SD/adapter solutions have limitations. Proper testing and operating has long been discussed here and only after each individual understands how this solution works can one feel comfortable using it for hire.

There is another solution besides running out and purchasing 32gig SxS cards, and it includes redundant recording using extremely affordable CF cards garnering higher bit rate levels that go beyond the limits of the EX cameras, yes it is the Nano Flash and honestly any of you professionals working consistently should seriously consider adding a redundant recording system to your package. Yes I use my SD/Adapter solution as my backup to my Nano Flash for every job now.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Bruce Quayle
on May 27, 2010 at 10:04:44 am

I updated my EX1r with the new version myself. Straight forward if you follow the instructions carefully and don't rush it. I also have two Hoodman adapters along with the 32gig class 10 cards they recommend. I can even do extended overcranking just the same as using the 16gig SxS card. No errors at all. I guess the upgrade is the all important feature...and ensuring you wait the correct time before ejecting the cards...and not running out of battery power!
Cheers,

Bruce

Return to posts index

Bruce Rawlings
on May 27, 2010 at 11:28:33 am

I am not really technical but managed to upgrade 2 EX1s without problems. There is a thread that covers the procedure step by step, I read carefully and this along with Sony's instructions made it straighforward. It is nerve wracking though until the camera is re-booted and all is well.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 28, 2010 at 4:16:14 am

My camera has the older firmware, so I'll spend a little cash to send it to Sony to insure a proper upgrade.

The Nano Flash is a great solution. I'll have to start looking into that also. I've already received my 32 Gig SxS, so at least I have one which will cover most main essential shoots.

Brent Dunn
DunnRight Video.com

Sony EX-1, V1U
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop

Return to posts index

Matthew Rowley
on Dec 5, 2010 at 12:35:25 am

Brent, just to let you know. I've been using the MxM adapters with the SanDisk 16Gb Class 10 cards for the past couple of months. I've never had to reformat the media. I did have my EX1 updated by Sony. It took them close to three months to get it back to me, but that's another story entirely. In the end, I have no problems with the media or adapters.

And the guys at mxmexpress.com have been wonderful to work with. I ordered another adapter not too long ago, and they added in a couple extra for free. And they've got quick shipping responses from their office in Australia.

I am saving up for the Nano Flash, but the money isn't all there. So this has been a good alternative in the mean time.

Matt

Sony EX1R
Adobe CS3

abdielpictures@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]